• 68194-brokenwheel(600x450).jpg
    68194-brokenwheel(600x450).jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 425

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
Re: 3 piece 17\" wheel for sale

Ross -

Looks like it just needs a polishing work, why giving up so easy on it, a quick buff job and you are back on the track with it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sandy

'COME ON ' what good is just one !
If you have three more exactly the same I'll have them, otherwise there no good

'HEY' I bet this was a result of your missis taking the car to the shops and trying to park
'as they do'

A few "whacks" from a hammer and some Mother's polish and it will look like new

Like John Candy said "most of that will buff right out"

OK Ross, so what happened? Was it at the Sandown meeting on Cup day? Hope the damage is limited to the wheel only.

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter

Yes Chris it happened at that meeting.Wheel and tyre both destroyed, although I can salvage the wheel centre.Daytona Cobra who went off on the first lap and going over the rise on back straight he attempted to pass me on the inside.I never saw him and officials were satisfied he went for 1/2 a hole.I'm going to fit a rear view camera.May save me some money.

Ross

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter

[ QUOTE ]
May save me some money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ross, a better way is to sell all your race cars!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Good luck with the camera, but I really think you'd be better off with nerf bars like the dirt track cars have!!

Just trying to help /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

All the best,

Good luck with the camera, but I really think you'd be better off with nerf bars like the dirt track cars have!!
All the best,

i don't think installing nerf bars to race cars is practical, its too low to accommodate a it. nerf bars are perfect for four wheel drives.

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter

i don't think installing nerf bars to race cars is practical, its too low to accommodate a it. nerf bars are perfect for four wheel drives.

archie, I have to respectfully disagree with you there.

At sill top level on a GT40 such anti-intrusion devices would be very effective, and solid, if they were mounted correctly. It is really a matter of preventing a competitors wheel being caught up in yours. There are several different ways to skin this cat......

Being something of a purist, I tend to take my lead from current F1 practice. They don't call them nerf bars, that would be too crude for F1. Nevertheless they do have excellent anti-intrusion devices. These F1 designs are a veritable Boadicea's Chariot of bristling armour which is primarily designed to puncture a competitors tyre should they become too amorous.

They go by fancy names like wing end plates, wing supports, strakes, barge boards, and, whilst designed primarily as a defensive weapon, with delicate and diligent control they can also be used to good effect in an attack scenario.

I am just installing 'wheel protectors', or 'nerf bars' if you wish, on my car right now, unfortunately a little more crude than the F1 types, and it requires some quite invasive bodywork mods. Will take some photos of progress so far and post on this thread tomorrow night.....

BTW I have been waiting patiently for 5 years for someone to reply to my last post. Don't take so long this time. Thanks!

FWIW, I don't think Ross has yet fitted either nerf bars or rearward facing camera. Guess he needs more time.....

Last edited:
Back