302 windsor & audi (success stories)

you may all be familiar with the recent discussions around my unsuccessful & rather painful attempts with a 302 & audi 016 gearbox combination in my gt40, & yes, i will be off to the dyno shortly to see exactly what's wrong - & where. if you haven't read it, it's on the transaxle section. i do however also know of quite a few similar scenarios - the ford 302 together with an audi 016 or 01e - where things are running with no difficulty & problems, & i wonder then, why me?

so please, if you have this combination (or similar) in your car, then let me know - engine & gearbox details, anything that'll help in my search to find the perfect combo!

regards.
joe.

My car has Windsor/Audi 6 speed combination and works ok.

If I were to be critical I'd say:
1) Ratios are stupidly wide - 1st is like a tractor and 6th is crazily tall, might be ok for US freeway cruising but where I am it's next to useless. The wide spread between gears makes it very ordinary at the track but I guess it's ok for the road.
2) Gear selection isn't the easiest but that's probably fixable with some tinkering.
3) Driveshaft height - not ideal for engine/gearbox placement but acceptable IMO.

My engine has a fair amount of grunt from it's 364 ci and the box seems to cope with it well. Due to unrelated circumstances the car has only done 3500k or so, but so far so good anyway.
One day I will (probably) do something about the ratios.

The engine/box were installed by RF so I don't know what issues might have been encountered.

As I haven't read your thread yet I don't know how relevant this is but I hope it's of some use.

Edit: Just did a quick scan of your other thread. It seems the problem is a too short top gear ratio. This seems to be a big issue given the number of posts about it that I've read on this site over the last few years.
FWIW, IMO The 6 speed I have is way too tall in 6th and probably even in 5th for my purposes so maybe it'd be a good solution for what you want.
I don't remember what diff' ratio my car runs but I can probably find out if you'd like to know.
Diff' centre was done by Pfitzer engineering (in Aus') from memory but I don't think the CW/P was changed.
Not sure what other details I have now as I lost a lot of info' due to a hard disc failure a while ago. As RF have changed hands I really don't know if a record exists of what exactly went into my car anymore.

Tim.

Last edited:
I havnt looked at the ratio chart in a while but it sounds like you have a petrol eng box
A diesel has a different diff ratio as the engine has to rev lower for the same MPH.
I have a 6speed 01e diesel,it has a lower ratio than the petrol.
Just a thought.

I have a mildly built 302 with an 016 and it seems to work fine. My 016 is an AAZ coded box which isn't the best, but it's not the worst. First gear actually seems fine but she's turning faster than I want when on the freeway (approx. 3,250 for 70mph). I have several other 016s in my garage - 5N, AFC and another AAZ. I'd like to put an LSD in the AFC (which has pretty good ratios). The 016 seems to do fine with the mild hp output of my 302 - supposed to be 345 according to Ford. For anything over 400hp I think the 016 is pretty lacking, even with the LSD and the case strengthening procedure to be honest. I'm pretty careful with it - no drop clutch burn outs for example.....I'm not 17 and on drugs....

Something that has not been mentioned is the clutch. It is possible that in the taller gears the engine torque is over powering the clutch allowing it to slip? This would make it seem the engine was reving too high at high speeds in top gear. Something else to think about.

wm

Back