360 Ferrari Engine With Twin Turbos? (Attn: Mesa?)

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Or one of these?
[ame=http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=e0gvqLZIQss]New Audi R8 V10 plus 2013 Commercial. - YouTube[/ame]

Ian

Having done some custom builds on f-car engines, take what you think it should cost, and multiply that by 3X and you'll have a reasonable budget. The fact of the matter is anytime ferrari has to be written on a parts box or a service order the price goes up two to four times no matter what's inside or what service is being done. Period.

If you're going to build a blown f-car engine you're going to need the full rebuild treatment, everything from bearings and gaskets to service work such as line bore, rod work, cylinder work, valve train rebuild (48 valves...), etc. Bend over, you're going to get it up the ass to the tune of $10-20K before you're done. $10K+ if you do the vast bulk of the work yourself, $20K+ if you farm most of it out.

$1K for a set of pistons for a ferrari? Nah, not even close.

Having done some custom builds on f-car engines, take what you think it should cost, and multiply that by 3X and you'll have a reasonable budget. The fact of the matter is anytime ferrari has to be written on a parts box or a service order the price goes up two to four times no matter what's inside or what service is being done. Period.

If you're going to build a blown f-car engine you're going to need the full rebuild treatment, everything from bearings and gaskets to service work such as line bore, rod work, cylinder work, valve train rebuild (48 valves...), etc. Bend over, you're going to get it up the ass to the tune of $10-20K before you're done. $10K+ if you do the vast bulk of the work yourself, $20K+ if you farm most of it out.

$1K for a set of pistons for a ferrari? Nah, not even close.

For what it is worth I paid 600.00 bucks for 1 new piston in an F355 engine about 4 years ago. I am not joking.
So yes, you are correct. To make matters worse it was stamped "Mahle" on the bottom...Nothing special just odd sized....

Directly quoted from Paeco's website http://www.paeco.com/Choosing%20Pistons.htm

Making Custom Pistons:
Contrary to popular opinion, it really doesn’t cost any more to make up a set of custom pistons than it does to make up listed pistons. However, it is a little more troublesome, and we will need help from you on this in the form of three items:
1. An old stock piston . 2. A mold of a combustion chamber (or two molds if the engine uses mirror image chambers) 3. The cc volume of the combustion chamber.
If you don’t know how to make the mold or measure the cc volume, call us and we will walk you through it. If you prefer that we make the mold and cc the chamber, ship the head to us and we will do it for you. There is no extra charge for this.

BTW,, the price for a set of Ferrari pistons

Ferrari 308, 328 $960

I didn't just pull the numbers out of my a$$. This company has been in business for decades.

Being an ex-Ferrari owner and experiencing Ferrari ownership first hand I would advise you to go with one of the LS motors for your SLC unless money is not a factor.
When I had my 328 I was advised by both my salesman and the dealership in my area to set at least $2,000 per year aside to cover parts and labor cost. Major service (now every 3 years instead of 5) quoted minimum of $7,000.00, oil changes 12qts plus filter over $200.00, small plastic air conditioner heater switch $500.00. These were dealership prices from 6 years ago before I sold the car.

Directly quoted from Paeco's website CHOOSING PISTONS

Making Custom Pistons:
Contrary to popular opinion, it really doesn’t cost any more to make up a set of custom pistons than it does to make up listed pistons. However, it is a little more troublesome, and we will need help from you on this in the form of three items:
1. An old stock piston . 2. A mold of a combustion chamber (or two molds if the engine uses mirror image chambers) 3. The cc volume of the combustion chamber.
If you don’t know how to make the mold or measure the cc volume, call us and we will walk you through it. If you prefer that we make the mold and cc the chamber, ship the head to us and we will do it for you. There is no extra charge for this.

BTW,, the price for a set of Ferrari pistons

Ferrari 308, 328 $960

I didn't just pull the numbers out of my a$$. This company has been in business for decades.

Well, that's great information James. Thank you for posting it because I think you must have come across the bargain of the century for cursed f-car owners needing a rebuild. Heck, caps, rotors and plug wires for the f-car are more than that!

Thanks for posting the custom piston supplier. It got me thinking.

I used to work in a shop while in college. We ordered custom engine stuff all the time. Lotsa turbo work as well. I'm really curious about everything costing more for an F engine like people say.

Serious question: If I call up a custom rod (or valve/spring/cam/whatever) shop, and ask for two custom sets of something, one being an LS3 with full custom specs, and the second being for an F motor (same metal and such), are they really going to charge a super premium PER PIECE for the second F motor set? Seems like a very poor way to do business as a supplier if so.

I am seriously asking those who may have experience.

Yes....

the LS series parts will be off the shelf to a point...they will have the forging/casting blanks available...piston pin heights, ring grooves etc

The F car ones will likely not be something they have on the shelf....plus the engineering,design and programming work needed will also add to the all up cost of the parts.

Its a pretty good guess that they will sell many more sets of LS series pistons than they will F car ones so the engineering amortisation will be much lower.

I suppose if you did all the engineering,design, machining cutter path work etc etc ....and all the manufacturer had to do was do as you requested then the price would be the same , so long as the machining time is the same for both parts....but unless you own the company that's not likely to happen.

Last edited:
Kevin:

The short answer to your question in my experience is NO.

But I say that with a strong caveat because everything said by Fran is 100% correct. The exception or where you see equality is when you go off the beaten path and into seriously premium custom parts. I have found billet rods for a Porsche or Jaguar to cost no more than billet "custom" rods for a Ford. But, again, you likely don't need "custom" parts for a Ford or Chevy as there will be "off shelf" premium parts available for task. "Off shelf" premium parts are almost always cheaper because of reasons Fran stated. Some custom billet rods or pistons are simply listed as per part, but saying that.....they are never cheap then.

For these reasons, so many of Porsche air cooled racers have gone aftermarket for P&C, rods and the like to avoid the F and P taxes as they are simply "race car" tax'd. The latter seems to be more in line with effort and quality than name and therefore a little easier to swallow or justify.

Back