5.0L Cammer crate engine

I found out that Ford has build a new out of the crate plug and play engine, an all alluminium alloy 5.0L 425hp V8 "Cammer" for the lovely price of $14.995. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
How is this to fit in a forty-kit?
Does it stand up to the environmental restrictions? polution by exhaust gasses i mean?
if it does, is there already someone wealthy enough to have one fitted in his car?
i can recomend you this article at fordmuscle..
http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2003/11/cammer/index.shtm

Greetings, Dutch Peter

The engine was presented last november at the SEMA-show
and wil be available in 2004 (i've got one question answered by myself /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif)

the price is indeed in US$
i found the following article at Ford Muscle:
FORD RACING’S NEW 5.0-LITER ‘CAMMER’
Ford Racing to offer 5.0L Mod crate motor next year.

LAS VEGAS, Nov. 5, 2002 - Ford Racing Technology will revolutionize the crate-engine concept when its new 5.0-liter Cammer crate engine becomes available in 2003. Instead of modifying a standard production engine to suit non-stock applications, Ford Racing specifically designed the Cammer to be one of the most technologically advanced crate engines any manufacturer has ever offered.

This high-performance retrofit is an all-aluminum, overhead-cam, 4-valve engine that is a perfect repowering upgrade for vintage Mustangs, street rods, and classic truck projects.

According to Ford Racing Technology engine engineer Andy Schwartz, “The 5.0-liter Cammer delivers a healthy 425-430 horsepower at 6700 rpm. The torque curve peaks with 370 foot-pounds at 4000 rpm.”

The 5.0-liter Cammer crate engine is based on the SVT Mustang Cobra’s 4.6-liter 4-valve V-8. However, the crate version has several unique qualities and components, including:

Larger cylinders (94mm vs. 90.2mm) for 5.0 liters of piston displacement
Flanged cylinder liners
Reinforced crankcase web areas
Forged pistons
11.0:1 compression ratio
Ported heads
Higher-lift cams (12mm vs. 10mm)
Beehive-shaped valve springs to accommodate the higher lift
Modified roller-finger followers
Multi-layer steel-insert head gaskets
Higher-flow fuel injectors
3-piece cast-magnesium variable geometry intake manifold
Higher-flow, dual-cone-spray fuel injectors
The 5.0-liter Cammer crate engine will be shipped with a stock Mustang Cobra oil pan and exhaust manifolds. Installation will be eased substantially by a choice of six different 4.6-liter 4-valve modular wiring harnesses being created specifically for the 5.0-liter Cammer crate engine.

“We intend to grow the interest in overhead-cam technology,” said Dan Davis, director, Ford Racing Technology. “This is the future for tuners, project-vehicle builders and aftermarket car and truck enthusiasts. There’s no reason why a crate engine can’t start and perform as well in an aftermarket setting as the engines in production automobiles and trucks do. The 5.0-liter Cammer crate engine will provide top performance, a slick underhood appearance and excellent driveability without the hassles attached to carburetors and distributors.”

Greetings, Dutch Peter

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Ford had the Cammer on display at the PRI show in Indianapolis last week. It was set up with (4) 48 IDA Webbers. There was usualy a crowd of dreamers drooling over it, every time I went by it. Like everyone said in the earlier posts, WAY overpriced, but it did look nice.
Regards Brian

Ron Earp

Admin
If you guys want one of these the best thing is to purchase a 4.6L Cobra motor and have it rebuilt. Almost new 4.6L can be had for around $2000 where I live (Call True Blue), cause people keep kicking them to the curb for their drag cars that they want to put a SB in, because, you know it, they can make more power with less weight!!!!

But Ron....the pushrod engine is so old tech!
Don't you really want multi-valves overhead cams etc
like Ferrari/Porsche/Lamborghini/etc?

MikeD

Ron Earp

Admin
Uhhhh, no.

1 hp = 746 watts wheter it comes from a twin turbo DOHC V10 or a steam engine.

Actually I should not be so extreme. I like any motor, but I chose the 40 so I could have a very nice looking car that was back to basics. For me, basics means a motor that I've worked on for years and enjoying seeing what can be done with it. And, if it can outperform much more complex engines then I'm even happier.

One interesting thing about this motor is I bet you are seeing some of the new Mustang engine here.

The larger bore to make 5.0 liters and a few of the other improvements are likely to be part of the new Mustang motor. It will certainly use the new 3 valve heads for the base cars with the 4 valve heads being reserved for the next Cobra.

As for pushrod vs. 4 valve. The 4 valve motors will always make more power per cubic inch and will always be the choice for racing where the limit is engine displacement.

The pushrod engine puts more displacement in a smaller and (if you make it all aluminum like the other motors) lighter package so it is no disadvantage at all if you are not working under some sort of displacement limit.

It seems to me that I read that Shelby is getting about $6,000 for his 427 FE aluminum block. Compared to that, this thing almost looks like a bargain.

My Dart based motor was dyno tuned and delivered for $11500 Makes 615 HP on 93 octane normally aspirated using Hyd cam, and it weighs only 465 lbs. And that price is getting on the high end of cost for a small block (7L /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ), but is still a heck of a bargin considering what else is out there.

Ron Earp

Admin
That motor is a bargin and does well. When I see a cammer make that power, for that money and NA, then I'll eat my shoe. I've got some 11s waiting for some ketchup. Now, the big question is if you'll let me ride in that thing while visting?

R

Ron,

With the motor he is putting in that thing, I think you're going to have quite a ride. That thing should be absolutly insane. 615 hp in a 2,300 lb car! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif It can probably spin the tires at 80 mph! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
I agree with Gary and Ron. Speed costs money; how fast do you want to go? And you get more bang for your buck with a pushrod engine. I also think the frictional losses are greater in a multicam engine, with all those cams to drive and all that chain whipping around. I think OHC engines were superior in the days when you couldn't get pushrod engines to rev over 5500 without valve float, but those days are long gone.
Plus, if I blow my motor up, I can replace it a LOT cheaper.

Back