5 minutes or REAL orgasm...

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Geez--no room for error on some of those curves and seemingly little traction on the dusty road. He was awfully close to the drop-off numerous times.

That guy has big ones!!

Doug

I dont know how many of you have driven up Pikes Peak, its one of those "must do before you die" ambitions, my wife and I did it a Hertz rent car, I drove up, but she was not going anywhere unless she drove all the way down, no way was she sitting beside me again on that road, she wanted complete control - scared me to death on the way down. Frank

That car probably has more HP than the Hertz Rental Car you drove Frank, so the Hertz was probably much easier to control.

Obviously, the driver in the video looks like he has done that before. Especially the part where he drives with one hand, and uses his other hand as a sun visor.

Frank, tell us more about how you tamed the Peak. (PS: Did you get good enough to one hand it?)

Gary Kadrmas

Great movie, great drive. I have heard about Pikes Peak before but have never seen live material untill now. I (for some reason) was more thinking about a strait forward hill climb for 1500 meters or so but this is far more than that. The dust and sun seem to throw in additional risks.

I'm still wandering why pikes peak is never the base theme for a game (here in europe anyway) !

The movie seems do be from the past, does pikes peak still looks this way or is it more secure ?

Grzrockonsmile

Chris Kouba

Supporter
It's pretty much still how you see it in the video safety-wise, although a portion of it has been paved subsequently. The year was 1988 or 89. The car was the Peugeot 406 T16:

peugeot-t16-2.jpg

Its output was hush-hush but guessed to be 6-700 hp from 1900cc. Class weight in the day was 890 kgs. THat's a pretty good power to weight ratio. Vatanen beat Walter Rohl's and Audi's record time handily with the car, and the record stood for some time even with the paving of the lower portions.

I have driven it (the road, not the Peugeot!) and Mt Washington in New Hampshire. Both roads are primitive and make no pretense of being guardrailed or otherwise safety-Nazi'd. Drive at your own risk, but definitely a cool stretch of road!

Cheers,

Nice !,

Do they ofter organize races ? As we (here in the Netherlands) never get something to see from pikes peak not even on eurosport.

When there are no events is this a public road where they collect toll (like the Nordschleife ?

Back