5 pt. Harness

My chassis has kind of long nuts welded to the chassis - they are about the size of a cotton reel and have a threaded centre. These are welded onto one side of each chassis member in the appropriate places and into these you just use the normal eye bolts that come with your harness's. My build pics may have the nuts shown in the pics, although when reducing in size for the forum this detail may be lost.

Ron Earp

Admin
Ron,

Get some good cam lock belts, Gforce is perfectly good and less expensive than many others from OMP, Willams, etc. and get the clip on set with the belts.

That will provide you with eyelets and clip on pieces that can go on the belt straps so the belts can be cliped to the eyelets. Buy, or make, the load distribution plates that they sell with them - about 3"x3" 1/8" steel. Then, simply bolt the eyebolts where they need to go to mount the belts.

As long as you are bolting through around 1/8" metal or so, you'll have plenty of support. The belts come with guidelines for thicknesses of material needed to be safe, but these guide lines will get you through I think.

If you have a space frame then you can weld threaded tubes to the chassis as Paul describes. If you have the RCR chassis as you do I'd use load distribution plates nad bolt them up. Fran might have another solution, but the eyebolts and load plates will work great and are used in race cars all over the world.

Ron

The lower mounts are welded into the chassis at the factory.

We also have steel brackets available that can be welded to the rollbar structure,the reason they are not installed at the factory is a difference in personal preference for wraparound harnesses or a bolt on harness.....

Ron McCall

Supporter
Thanks guys.
I had planned to run Willans harnesses with the eyelets and clip on peices.
I have the RCR chassis so the lower belts aren't a problem.
I was speaking of the shoulder straps.I should have been more clear.Sorry.
I didn't get a chance to call Fran yesterday and didn't want to bother him on the weekend.I wanted to finish the modifications to the roll bar (notch for the dist,harness attachnment etc...) .
Can you send me a picture of the bracket you are speaking of Fran? PLease?
Thanks!
Ron

Ron Earp

Admin
Sounds like Fran has something special for the harnesses, but I treat them the same and the lap belts. Figure out where the harness has to be, drill holes, mount plates and eyebolts, move on to next task. Seems like it would work well on RCR's rear bulkhead. If you really wanted to get fancy you could probably tie them both together and use a channel of ally bar between the two sets of harnesses.

R

The GTD has a treaded shoulder strap mounting point on each side of the car. I had a 4130 bar fabricated to tie into those points and utilize wrap around shoulder belts. Waist belts should have an attchment point already. Submarine belts usually just attache thru the floor with some re-inforcement around the hole.

Attachments

• 78705-seatbelt.JPG
    78705-seatbelt.JPG
    188.4 KB · Views: 301
Back