50 most beautiful cars (the EVO list)

Here it is. I tracked it down, purely by accident, without buying the mag (my subscription ended last month).

50. TVR Grifith
49. TVR Tuscan
48. Porsche 550 Spyder
47. Alfa Romeo SZ
46. Mercedes 300 SLR
45. Alfa Romeo Carabo
44. Jaguar R Coupe
43. Lamborghini Diablo
42. Porsche 911 GT2 (993)
41. Lotus Elan (rwd)
40. Lancia Fulvia HF
39. BMW Z8
38. Ferrari 250 GT California
37. Jaguar D-Type
36. Lola T70 IIIB
35. Lancia Integrale Evo
34. Ferrari 250 GT
33. Eagle Weslake
32. Lotus Elise
31. Ferrari 275 GTB/4
30. AC Cobra
29. Lotus Elite ('60s)
28. Citroen SM
27. BMW 3.0 CSL 'Batmobile'
26. Pagani Zonda
25. Citroen DS
24. Ferrari F355
23. Maserati Ghibli ('60s)
22. Ferrari F40
21. Lancia Stratos
20. Ferrari 250 Lusso
19. Alfa Romeo T33 Stradale
18. Mercedes 300 SL ('50s)
17. Bugatti Type 57 Atlantic
16. Ferrari 250GT SWB
15. Aston Martin DB4 GT Zagato
14. Ferrari 365GTB/4 Daytona
13. McLaren F1
12. Porsche 911 2.7 RS
11. Aston Martin Vanquish
10. Ferrari 246GT Dino
09. Ford GT40
08. Ferrari 288 GTO
07. Porsche 917
06. Lamborghini Countach
05. Chevrolet Corvette ('63)
04. Lamborghini Murcielago
03. Ferrari 330 P4
02. Jaguar E-Type

****The World's Sexiest Car****
01. Lamborghini Miura

A '63 Chevrolet Corvette is more "sexy" than a GT40??? Don't think so! Two cars from the same era but as far as sex appeal they are worlds apart.

Yes, you're quite right Mike. Beauty is all in the eye of the beholder. That's exactly why there is no right and wrong as far as this list goes. Beauty is all subjective, but when it comes down to the title of the "World's Sexiest Car", it's more than just a "skin deep" thing. Park a real GT40 next to a '63 FI fastback 'Vette, pop the engine covers (hoods, bonnets, whatever), and see which one draws the most lookers. I think that would be a pretty good measure of automotive "sex appeal", even though it's still a matter of the eye of the beholder to a great degree. If it were a matter of beauty alone then surely the TVR Griffith and Tuscan (#s 49 and 50 on the list), to name a few, would not even be mentioned in the same breath. As far as the list goes I don't have much opinion other than that. (I have to admit that most of the cars on the list I couldn't pick out of a lineup anyways.)

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Well, there are a lot of pretty cars on the list, but what strikes me is that most of the cars on the list are high-performance cars. Now, I thought this was a list of beautiful cars. While it is nice to go fast, I don't think going fast is necessarily an attribute of beauty in an automobile- maybe of enjoyment to some, but not visual appeal.
I don't know whether this is evidence of fuzzy thinking on the part of the folks who did the listmaking or what, but a lot of visually stunning cars have been ignored here: Talbot-Lago, Bugatti, Packard, Duesenberg, just to name a few. I'm sure there are others- I'd be surprised if there weren't. Oh- Mercedes-Benz 540K. And what about the original Aston-Martin Zagato...
There are three Miuras in and out of a garage near me. They are neat cars, but I can't fathom for the life of me why anyone but the most rabid Lambo enthusiast would think for a moment that they are the most beautiful car ever built.
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

Of course beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

But I think most automotive afficionodos
would name the Jag E-type and Corvette
Stingray (1963-1967) as the most beautiful
MASS PRODUCED sports cars.

Nearly all other cars on this list are LOW
volume LIMITED production. You can stretch
the envelope a lot easier when your target
market is a small group of WEALTHY customers!

That said...the Muira is a bit of a surprise.
If the Muira is # 1, then surely the Pantera
should have made the list!

MikeD

It's all down to personal preference. This list was made up from the views of a few car designers. Big deal! A public pole would be far more accurate.

Regards,

J.P

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
That, if I am not mistaken, is a J-model Duesenberg; Murphy coachwork? Am I right?
It is one of the most stunning cars of all time, especially when you think about its' contemporaries.

1931 J446 Duesenberg J type one of a kind Frany bodied 4 door center division roadster ex Queen Marie of Yugoslovia. Bought by the Queen at the 1931 Paris Auto Show. Note the Lalique Spirit of Victory radiator cap which lights up!

[ December 11, 2002: Message edited by: MK -IV J6 ]

I have to say, there is an awful lot of post war emphasis on this list...

MK-IV... that is a VERY pretty car.... I have a picture of a 'fast back' Model J (sorry if that is the wrong description!), and I have to say that rates way higher than the Miura on my list, and a Type 57 Atlantic only makes it to 17th place!!!!!! humhhh....

my other thoughts.....

And what about the Countach?... I still think that this is a car that is most loved by children of the '80s where it was imortalised on a million posters on boys bedroom walls... but many would have to admit that it is striking rather than outright pretty?

And a 300SLR way down the list.... Stirling Moss would be heartbroken!

And where is the post war British tin like the MGA and the Austin Healy 3000... they are also pretty darned nice cars, although perhaps not powerful enough to sit in this illustrious company?

still at least I now have finally identified my lifes goal... to collect the entire top 50.... just about £60M to go, and I'l be there....

I may prefer some to the others, but you are all right, beauty is in the eye of the beholder (and I secretly admit - but keep it quiet - that I wouldn't mind owning any of the list!)

Neil
smile.gif

[ December 11, 2002: Message edited by: Neil Strenge ]

I agree with some of the comments above. Most of the cars on the list are modern era sports cars. No mention of Duesenbergs, Bugatti (early), Rolls Royce, Jaguar XK, etc..... The magazine's list would be the list I put together when I was 16. Of course, that may be their target audience. No way any Corvette except maybe the first 3 years makes it on a "beautiful" car list.

David

G

Mark IV J6,

I have hesitated to say it in the past, but it is now more than obvious ... you LIVE where most can only DREAM of living!

Am happy that someone with means can invest in the preservation and enjoyment of such marvelous examples of the best of our heritage.

Thanks for sharing some of it with us.

There is a guy here in Melbourne that has a superb Muira S , and sitting amongst his other cars, datona's and such is a very high spec RF40 turnkey. Some guys have all the luck!!! Regards

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
I am glad I am not the only one that thinks that the prewar cars got the short end of the stick in EVOs list. I guess my main criticism is that the list is much more performance-oriented than design or esthetics. A car doesn't have to be fast to be beautiful, although it doesn't detract, now, does it....
I'd forgotten about the Golden Submarine! it's never boring around here...
shocked.gif

Back