930 Transaxle + Adapter + shifter+ ...

1988 Porsche 930 transaxle (will update with model/serial #) very low mileage. I've had this in my shop for over 10 years... includes clutch-release arm, CV joints, speedo hall-sensor.

Kennedy adapter kit, plug welded, redrilled for inverted use to mate to '86-up SBC. Includes flywheel, Sachs clutch/pressure plate.t/o bearing, pilot bearing. IMI gear-reduced starter. Never used, still in boxes.

Renegade Hybrids cable shifter assembly with mounts for the 930.

Asking $6,500. Don't want to sell but health forces sale. Serious only, please. Bob

Howard Jones

Supporter
Bob, That adapter is for a SBC, Small Block Chevy, correct? Also, do you know if the gearbox has a limmited slip in it?

And... do you know what the gear ratios, including the R&P, are?

Last edited:
I just came from my shop and copied the serial numbers on the case:

930 301 301 101 1R and 930 301 301 OR 34. 87

I don't know if it holds true with these trans, but when you rotate one of the output flanges, the opposite side rotates in the same direction (instead of the opposite direction of rotation). This is often an indication of a limited slip-type of 3rd member in live-axle set-ups; don't know if that's relevant here...

Don't know what the gear ratio is; that may be indicated by the above #'s... just don't know. The ratio is stock, as this trans has very low miles.

Yes, I mean small block Chevy, 1986 and up.

Bob

Last edited:
Bob,

Interesting - I don't have a handy way to cross ref the part number you cite here, however, it's my understanding that when porsche reintroduced the 911 turbo to the US market in 1986 after a five-year hiatus they upgraded the old 930 transaxle to a 5-speed configuration. If yours did indeed come from a 1988 911 turbo I would guess that it's actually a five-speed.

Yes, that's likely an LSD equipped box if both output flanges rotate in the same direction....

All 930's are 4 speeds. Final drive ratio 4.22:1
1st gear 2.25:1
2nd gear 1.30:1
3rd gear 0.89:1
4th gear 0.65:1
reverse gear 2.43:1

sorry about first post (fat fingers)...
Agree this sounds like an LSD unit from 1987

Not so. When porsche reintroduced the 911 turbo to the US market in 1985 they upgraded the transaxle to a five speed. The latest issue of Excellence ( Excellence Magazine ) has a nice write up by Bruce Anderson in the Market Update section on the history of the 911 turbo and he makes this point quite clearly. Bruce is widely regarded as the foremost technical historian of porsche automobiles.

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Not so. When porsche reintroduced the 911 turbo to the US market in 1985 they upgraded the transaxle to a five speed. The latest issue of Excellence ( Excellence Magazine ) has a nice write up by Bruce Anderson in the Market Update section on the history of the 911 turbo and he makes this point quite clearly. Bruce is widely regarded as the foremost technical historian of porsche automobiles.

I doubt that that's right Cliff.

Paul Frere in his book " Porsche 911 story" which is "written with the full cooperation of those responsible for the development of the car" including Prof. Ferry Porsche himself. States the "Type G50 was introduced in the 3.2 litre 1987 models" and "Long overdue the 911 turbo benefited from the new 5-speed gearbox for 1989" The G50/50 wasn't around in 1985 let alone the weaker non turbo unit. Bob's 1988 trans must be a 4 speed. I'm sure if the G50/50 had been released to the US-only-market prior to 1989 Paul Frere would have noted that.

Regardless of that, all we need is for Bob to post a photo and all will be revealed!

Last edited:
Russ, what you say is not in conflict - yes, the 911 turbo did get the new G50 5-speed box in 1989. However, before 1989 ('85-'88) the US 911 turbo had an older version which was also 5-speed. I would tend to trust what Bruce Anderson says in Excellence - he is regarded as the foremost technical historian of the 911 worldwide.

Ok ok...

I take some pics today. The shifter I have for it runs it through 4 forward speeds and one reverse ( with a push-down and over lock-out). I am pretty sure it doesn't have a 5th gear... Won't I feel silly if it does!

Interesting debate.

Bob

Without a shadow of a doubt it is a 4 speed. Porsche did not put a 5 speed in until 1989. If the Excellence mag said otherwise then it was a misprint. Bruce will tell you the same... no 5 speed until 89.

Bob, I did a little research on your box - based upon the pn above it's a four-speed. I've been looking for a 5-speed for a bit now so before I knew this I looked back at some porsche data I have in my library. It looks like the 5-speed was a (expensive) factory option in the '85-88 911turbos (4-speed standard) with the 5-speed becoming standard in '89. I had a '88 turbo some years ago that had this option - was indicated as such on the build sheet Certificate I requested and received from porsche so I know it wasn't a conversion at a later date. However, as far as I can tell you have the 4-speed based on the pn.

That's still a heck of a good box.

Sorry I haven't gotten pics up yet. I really need to sell this stuff. I'll even knock-off $1,500.00--- $5,000 for the whole package.

Bob.

Back