944 transaxle

What kind of transaxle does a 944 have? Could this type of transaxle be used in a GT-40 application?

Thanks
Shawn

944 value

Sorry I forgot to ask what a 944 transaxle with 100000 miles on it would be worth if anyone knows?

Thanks
Shawn

Do a search. This subject has been discussed several times. Basically all of the work necessary to make this work isn't worth it.

Do a search. This subject has been discussed several times. Basically all of the work necessary to make this work isn't worth it.

+1. Ditto what Eric said.

One side/related question that is related to the OP's question but which I still haven't seen answered in any definitive manner is the question of whether the LSD out of a 944S/turbo is a relatively plug/play for the audi 5000 016. Occasionally, I see a 944S/turbo box come up for sale and have been tempted to buy it just for the LSD with the idea of installing it in my AFC coded 016 out in the garage.

Recently, I did buy a 944 turbo box with LSD via craigslist, paid for it, had it delivered and wouldn't you know it - no LSD. After researching the code on the box (which was different than what the douche bag seller indicated) I determined it was actually out of a standard '84 944. Of course, the seller played dumb and then slinked off to avoid returning the money so I had to send the sherrif after him along with a demand letter and then he coughed it up. So, my reco to the OP is to make sure what 944 box you're actually getting before you buy it!

Yes, it can be done, but you'll need to buy an Audi 016 Trans as well and go from there. Not worth it really, I've done it though. Seach threads by me and you'll find all you ever didn't want to know about getting a 016/944 hybrid to work.

Regarding LSD into 016. I used a Quaife LSD in my 016 and laterly in my 944S2 ring gear. Fits both. Works very well. But you have to strip your trans to install it. Don't know about old 944 clutch type LSD, but it should fit as the Quaife is designed to replace it. Why bother when you can get a new Quaife that won't break and does not need any maintenance, rebuilding etc.

Yes, it can be done, but you'll need to buy an Audi 016 Trans as well and go from there. Not worth it really, I've done it though. Seach threads by me and you'll find all you ever didn't want to know about getting a 016/944 hybrid to work.

Regarding LSD into 016. I used a Quaife LSD in my 016 and laterly in my 944S2 ring gear. Fits both. Works very well. But you have to strip your trans to install it. Don't know about old 944 clutch type LSD, but it should fit as the Quaife is designed to replace it. Why bother when you can get a new Quaife that won't break and does not need any maintenance, rebuilding etc.

Thanks Julian, that's helpful and good info.

Do you happen to know the Quaife LSD part number that works for this application?

I have an AFC coded 016 I'd like to put an LSD in for a try (in parallel to engineering a 930 box which will undoubtedly be better/stronger).

Thanks.

You need to know what 944 transaxle you are looking at. The 944 non turbo/non S or S2 (along with 81-84 924 turbo) is the same as your 016. They have the same 1st-5th ratios and a 3.89 ring & pinion. however the input shaft is larger in diameter.

The S and S2 & turbo have a ring and pinion that is a little larger in diameter. the S & S2 have a 3.875 and the turbo has a 3.375.

The S, S2 & turbo have 3.5 first gear ratios and a bigger front pinion bearing. The turbo has an optional oil cooler and the turbo S has shot peened gears and shafts.

All of the LSD units should interchange.

Someone here has just finished building a 944 turbo based 016 so you should be able to find the thread easily.

The quaife diff you want is the one for Porsche 944. Fits 016 and all 016 based 944 trans. S, S2 turbo + old 944 016 trans.

Back