962 versus miata. Best track car?

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
After "What's the Point", I gave up reading the rest. Yet another article miss-titled to garner some interest, only to find out the point wasn't worth writing about.

Howard Jones

Supporter
Oh come on………..don't be so serious. Besides most guys can's get there own hotrod around a race track as fast as a pro driven Miata. And...………….at >$500K a guy could wait his whole lifetime to save up for the 962. On the other hand that's a lot of fun over 20 years of beating on a Miata for $20-25K. Just sayin.

On the 1.04 lap the 962 did it was about 25% faster than the Miata (1.24) but pretty much 20 TIMES more expensive. Do I want one. naaaaa. but it is a good option to get a young guy with limited resources started in the hobby.

Last edited:

Howard Jones

Supporter
Sorry...……….….I found this article interesting...……………..I guess others didn't...……………...sorry again, just trying to add some lefty and maybe a bit of information. I was surprised to find out just how fast a real racecar is compared to a everyman sport car. The same driver, track, day and Brian Redman was unique and it seams that considering the lap time difference the Porsche would lap the Miata every 4 laps.

Which one would I want to drive, well we all would give a arm and a leg to drive the Porsche. But could I own one, nope not ever, nada. The Miata on the other hand has opened up race tracks for thousands of people who dream of racing and on track driving.

In my mind this article is as much about the difference in cost/commitment as it is performance. The Porsche has to be north of $500K where as the Miata can be had for $20-25K all day long. Thus the 20 times reference.

Anyway the article got me thinking, maybe being retired has given me more time to do that...……...whatever.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I’m with you Howard....
I’ve driven cars that would run 200 MPH and cars that would only top 110 if you were drafting a faster car.
In the long run it was all about bang for the buck.
Of all the Corvettes, Camaros, Porches, Cobras, Mustangs et al that I have shoe’d around tracks - believe it or not - the car that gave me the most bang for the buck was a little Honda Civic. I took this car in partial trade for an American Sedan Camaro and absolutely hated it at first. But my GT1 Corvette was not yet done, so it was drive the Honda or sit in the stands. That little car was built to the limits of the rules and was quite competitive after I learned how to drive it. It taught be more about “momentum management” than any big-inch V8 car ever could. I played with it for a couple of years and took it to 4 Regional and 2 Division championships. The worse thing I ever did was to sell that little car....
12B0EB3C-C56D-454C-8DC0-FB449D9E991E.jpeg
445CD32C-7454-4055-B725-DC86595355D5.jpeg
1466A1CA-050C-4009-BD1B-6B451BC4F515.jpeg

Back