a/c compressor bracket

I`m looking for a low mount left hand side a/c compressor bracket for my build its a 351W any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thank you!

Morten

Mortified GT
Supporter
I used a SBC low alternator mount and modified it for a low mount on my alternator fit low on 351W. Its no low mounts to buy anywhere.

SGT made nice compact AC brackets that bolts onto where the fuelpump was mounted. Acts as a blanking plate.

Davidmgbv8

Supporter
I used a SBC low alternator mount and modified it for a low mount on my alternator fit low on 351W. Its no low mounts to buy anywhere.

SGT made nice compact AC brackets that bolts onto where the fuelpump was mounted. Acts as a blanking plate.
Morten, can you post a picture of the SGT style AC bracket, I am curious.
Thanks
David

Davidmgbv8

Supporter
SGT AC Bracket.jpg

Did some digging with boogle and came up with these pictures. Keith Bakers Build from Oct 2011, This is a neat compact design that I will do a version of....
SGT bracket 2.jpg

One word of warning. The length of that tube is very critical. I would face it off in a lathe. If it's .002" of gap, you're flexing the ears together when you cinch down on that bolt.

Sanden warns about this in their literature.

But that is a rather brilliant use of the fuel pump mount. I searched long and hard for the late model rev rotation truck waterpump timing cover, so I can't steal this little design feature.

One word of warning. The length of that tube is very critical. I would face it off in a lathe. If it's .002" of gap, you're flexing the ears together when you cinch down on that bolt.

But that is a rather brilliant use of the fuel pump mount. I searched long and hard for the late model rev rotation truck waterpump timing cover, so I can't steal this little design feature.
Very good advice Brian on the tube gap. I will definitely make sure the tolerance is correct.

Devin

Supporter

If it is that critical, you would think that they can supply a bolt sleeve that meets their spec.

Another good option would be drill out one ear and push a big open roll pin/sleeve into it like old alternators often had so it provided lateral support but could float for to aft.

I don't have a compressor in front of me, but if I remember correctly. the back ears are on the removable rear cover, so if it doesn't break it off, it can distort enough to make the rear cover leak. If both ears are on the same part, it can still cause internal distortion and possible piston rub.

I was thinking a heavier rear mount, and a more compliant brace on the front to positively locate and support laterally, but somewhat flexible for to aft.

I'm fabricating my own brackets for alt and compressor. I have the alt mostly mocked and tacked, but waiting for an idler/tensioner that will mount on the AC bracket.

Morten

Mortified GT
Supporter
The ears are on the body, not on rear cover. I’ve cut two surplus ears to make more room for cooling pipes, not a big deal. You just find the best spot for the AC compressor and make your bracket.

Back