A/C line routing

I'm about to install a/c in my KVA GT40. I've found that I don't have room in the tunnel for the the A/C hoses nor is there room in the cavity around the gas tank. I may have the run the hoses inside the passenger compartment.

Has any one run A/C hoses inside the passenger compartment and can you offer any advice!

John
:pepper:

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
John,
dont know about KVA, but in my dax, both heater and a/c pipes run in the sills, between the fuel tanks and the sill bodywork. Could be an option for you?
There I go, didn't read your post properly, you already said that you couldn't right?boomsmile

Last edited:
Dave,

My sills are already filled with the heater hoses - seems like there's no room to squeeze the A/C hoses - that's why I'm looking for an alternative!

John
:pepper: :pepper:

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
As a thought is the AC pump on a Prius electrically driven? (Or perhaps some zero emission cars)
Perhaps it is possible to mount it all up front.

Ian

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
John,

On my Sabre, the ac lines, from rear to front, are pipes IN the frame tubes. I don't know if it would be possible to retrofit something like this, but may be worth pondering.

Lynn

Lynn,

I'll check my frame but I doubt if a retrofit is possible - Sabre and KVA do have the same heritage. The cooling tubes on my KVA are built into the frame tunnel.

John

IanAnderson said:
As a thought is the AC pump on a Prius electrically driven? (Or perhaps some zero emission cars)
Perhaps it is possible to mount it all up front.

Ian

Ian,

The late model Prius' do run an inverter air conditioner - I've been scrounging around the web to locate one since you made the suggestion. A couple problems might await me - cost, the question of whether it will run on 12 Volts. A bigger potential problem is space - will it fit under the already cramped front section of the GT40.

If you get any leads or info on this, please forward them to me!

John

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
John,

If you run them inside the passenger compartment, the two concerns that I can think of are: protection from punctures and insulating the return line to prevent condensation. I would also consider making that portion of the run in metal pipe/tube of some sort for space considerations if nothing else.

Lynn

John,

Since this would be a retrofit i would suggest the method that RF used. The A/C line were run down the inside of the chassie along the interior side between the seat and the wall. a panel was attached that covered and protected the line. The main wireing harness was also run down this tunnel.

It might require you to move the seat over about an inch to make room but you would have to determin that. Check some of the older RF build sights and you should see what I mean.

Peter

Peter,

That's the route I've been considering - I assume that you're referring to the door side of the interior compartment rather than the center near the tunnel.

I've already lost about an 1 1/2 inches on the tunnel side of the passenger seat installing the parking brake handle assembly. Fortunately I think that most of the a/c tubing can be concealed under the seat by lying the two a/c tubes flat next to each other on the floor.

One other option would be to run the a/c lines thru the sills on the driver side if there's space.

When are you going to post some pictures of your new GT40?

John

Back