A Change is Coming!

Ron Earp

Admin
<font color="blue"> In about 3 weeks we're going to switch Forum software. UBB.threads has served us well, but it is a dead system now and has been patched pretty much to the point where nothing else will help much. We're going to switch to fusion BBS, which you can find here:

http://www.fusionbb.com/

This is a full featured system that was designed from the ground up to handle a lot of modern features, unlike this 11 year old piece of code that was not designed to do anything of the things it is doing now. Fusion has been in beta for months, actually almost a year, and I know the main programmer, Joshua Pettit, since he has been helping me with .threads for over four years.

The change should go well, but I am 100% certain that some threads might be damaged and some user IDs will be lost. But, beyond that I know that lots of folks will "forget" their passwords. This is because they are logged on now on a browser, keep returning to the site, and after many months never have to logon again and forget their user names and passwords.

SO PLEASE - let's start getting our ducks in a row. Take a spare moment, go to "My Home" and take a look at your login ID. Change your password to something you remember. Write it down. Keep it and use it when the new board goes up. I'll have my hands full learning a new system and sorting out issues, I won't have a lot of time for answering those "lost password" emails, particularily when they can be avoided by just checking things out right now in the "My Home" section.

And while you are in there PLEASE UPDATE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS! The system can't email passwords to bogus or unused email address, and, while you are at it update your signature and screen name to reflect who you are, it'd be nice for a few of you whom we have no idea where you live, your name, or anything else.

Thanks much for listening, off soap box now. I'll bring this back to the top every now and again using ttt.

R
</font>

Ron,

If you ever need some assistance, let me know.

I get paid pretty well to support this kind of stuff /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
As are, I am sure, others on this board.

Ian

[ QUOTE ]
Take a spare moment, go to "My Home" and take a look at your login ID. Change your password to something you remember. Write it down.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just did it. I'm one of those people who has forgotten the password because I let my browser remember it for me. I was pleasantly surprised that as long as I'm already logged in, I can change my password without needing to remember my old password.

Hi Ron, Have you looked at other products out there, i am in IT and spend a lot of time on the web, meant to be working but end up surfing lots of car sites, just a perk of working for yourself, another forum product that is very popular is Vbulletin, it seems very polpular with car sites. have alook at these 2 sites they may give you some ideas for layout etc, http://www.lextreme.com/forums/
and http://ferrarichat.com/forum/index.php? if you are also into Lamborghini cars halfway down the ferrari page is a Lamborghinichat.com link, well worth a look, these guys are real owners, dreams are free, hope this helps.

Best Regards
GraemeS

Ron Earp

Admin
I have, one big problem with converting over is that people are losing their inline images on UUB.threads (this forum) when they go to vbulletin. That would be a big mess on this site since post good posts have some inline images, 1000s of them on this site alone, that would be toast. There might be a fix but I have not read of one yet on the import section at the vbulletin forum site.

Ron

Charlie Farley

Supporter
Hey Ron,
Which ever system you decide to use, could you incorporate a 'Chat Forum' ?
IMHO it might be fun for all the members. It seems to work well on other sites and could provide a few laughs in peoples lives.Those members pictures would come alive!!

Back