A few saftey and licness plate(s) questions

I am not really worried about crash saftey. I am more or less worried about passenger safety. I don't know munch about 4 or 5 point harnesses. But I do know if you mount them wrong your better with out one. I also know that A harness is not really a fit all belt. When you mount one you mount it for you.

I am worried about passnegers in this part. I have firends and family ranging from 5 and a half feet to 6 and a half feet. 130lbs to over 300. That don't include woman that might be a future girl friends. How would I mount a harness for all sorts of people. I talked to a buddy about how the off road truck team he works for solves this. They take the shoulder belts and mount them to were the rear seat bolts are on the floor. I just do not know how safe that is. I read on schroth you can do that if you have a bar at the 20 degree angle from the shoulders. But like I said I know a lot of people different sizes. So that angle will be different for every one.

The only thing I have come up with is a normal 3 point belt you find in a normal car. I have the skill to make the brackets I would need. I might also do that for me. I plan on have making a double duty slc. Then I could also mount a slider for both seats. I would just swap put the harness and racing seat when not needed.

Now for the Plates. Were are you guys mounting your front plate? When I get the slc I plan on getting hobbyist plates for one reason a one time buy. nothing after that. The only down part is there green and yellow. I like the colors on a sunday in the fall. Also they give you two plates I Think.

I am running no front plate now on a bright blue loud car and have had no problems. But I think with the SLC there might be problems. Its not really a car that blends in up here. It might blend in LA. Just not here in the Midwest. I am all ready waiting to get pulled over when ever I buy and build one.

My opinion on the seat belts: They are completely adjustable. I've done multiple autocrosses and a couple track days. During safety inspections, they have passed with no issues. I've had a 5'5" instructor to a 6'3" autocross enthusiast on board. Never once did they feel insecure through out the runs, nor have they mentioned any safety issues. I adjust my own belts every time I drive. And so do the pax.

As far as front plates go: Looks like youre up a creek on that one.

If you set up your passengers seat for the average person, then in all likelihood, most everyone else who fits in the seat will be safely secured as long as the seat and belts are withing their range of normal adjustments.

My front plate solution:

1. Get ticket
2. Temporarily fasten front plate on with zip ties or something
3. Have cop sign off fix-it-ticket
4. Pay the $10 to dismiss ticket by mail
5. Remove front plate

Repeat as necessary.

Dave,

Another alternative used by one of my friends here in TX:

Got a ticket. Went to court. Before entering courthouse, took photos of cars parked in lot without front plates (including the Judge's!!!)......case dismissed. :thumbsup:

On the belts get the Schroth Profi III, they're worth the money and super comfy. They have adjustments on the lap and shoulder belts. If the person will fit in the seat they can loosen or tighten the harness as needed in seconds.

Not to mention if you're in a car with a roll cage, a 6 point harness will keep you where you need to be.

I think when you're driving a car on the street and its roofline is barely above the average SUV's fenders, any concept of passenger safety is moot :laugh:

Sad, but true. I feel so much safer going 150mph on a closed race track than 80mph next to semi's and big suvs.

Seat belts will help you in this situation :D

slc1.jpg

I've not gotten pulled over for no front plate yet. Now speeding, that a differnet story. Most cops are too busy trying to figure out what it is.

If i get a ticket, i've got a termporary mount off my front tow point and bring it pictures into court explaining it malfunctioned, hadnt had to worry about it yet.

Doc had a good idea last year, devise an interior visor with the plate on the front of it that can swing down. if you get pulled over, swing it down and ask the cop why he missed it.

Back