A.J.'s RCR 40

AJ,
Glad to hear the car is atleast in your garage now. Hear you have a laundry list of "undones" or things that need addressing. Bring it by so we can assess.

Jay - There are a few items that RCR is correcting,one of which occured in transit so they were not aware of it until we got it out of the trailer on this end. Fran has already agreed to promptly rectify this. If there is additional work apart from this to get the car road ready,then that is something for which I will consider other shops. A.J.

Last edited:
AJ,congrats on the new ride. That is great that RCR is building turn key cars now. When I got my BDR GT (CAV) it was either that or SPF for a complete built GT. I don't know if you'll have everything sorted out but it would be great if you could join the fall foliage run with us in a couple of weeks? Jay puts on the event & it's a great drive. Last year we had about 15 Cobra's 1 Daytona coupe & my GT.It would be cool to have 2 GT'S :rolleyes: !Anyway good luck and enjoy your GT
Rick

Last edited:
Rick, I would love to join you but there are several things yet to be done to the car. It's a turn key minus, NOT a turn key so items relating to the various hook-ups have yet to be done. Additionally I have a hospital schedule that occupies a lot of my time for physical therapy for my right shoulder (torn rotator) and that also limits what I can do on the car. The corrective action mentioned shouldn't take very long at all and I'll be trying to get this done before extreme cold weather sets in. It won't be in time for a foliage run but springtime looks like a co-ordinated run date. A.J.

AJ, take care of that shoulder. Your going to need that right arm to shift the GT soon ! Sometimes the "to do" list is part of the fun. I was pretty lucky with my car just a few things (A/c system lines were air bound) (6th gear was hard to find/linkage adjustment) little things & it was fun ( test drives :thumbsup: )getting it dialed in. So have fun getting the GT all finished and we will look forward to the spring run .
Rick

Thanks, Jay - yes, as you know from the work he has done for you on the Backdraft cars, Ron Randall (Metalmorphous) is a meticulous craftsman and usually can't look at something without having to get his hands on it to make the item even better. The shoulder problem was improving until I had a recurrence of an old back injury, can't get a break it seems, and I was in the hospital for that too. Due to decreased mobility I may be farming out some of the work I had intended to do myself - time will tell - but for now the car is on track with Ron applying his special talent to the work to be done.
I had contacted Chris Martino of Raceline Digital for some items and he shipped them out promptly, including some special stuff(Thanks, Chris) that will be on the forum build log soon. I asked Ron to paint the dash and he came up with a catalyzed texture coating which looks great. A few more special touches and back on the trailer to home (or to the next shop). There was also a tenative inquiry to have the car appear(briefly) in an upcoming film but that's a ways off right now. More pics soon. A.J.

Rocker stripe and demister grill from Chris @ Raceline Digital just came in late today. Only had enough time to drop them off at Metalmorphous before Ron leaves for the Southwest. Whe he comes back and the stuff (including a very nice windshield mounting) is on the car, I'll post some pics.

Al - It's getting close. There was quite a bit of work to get it where I wanted it. I haven't had the opportunity to work on it on a constant basis due to weather and other commitments until this year. Add to that the head-on accident at Thanksgiving which limits what I can do. I have a good friend, Andrei, working with me to get to the items I can't physically do. He's also a long time car nut and builder with excellent fabrication skills which made the task(s) easier for me. I'm making a concentrated effort to get all the systems working; fuel, coolant, steering, brakes and several other items. Along the way we've come up with a few additions and rework that will make the car reliable and easier to service. Even little things. For example, instead of having the oil pressure and warning sensors hanging on a long extension from the block, we ran a stainless line up to the front of the cyl head to a junction block so all the sensors could go into the same harness. I didn't want heavy sensors hanging off a 6" pipe nipple in the block. See pic. Attached is a pic of the new radiator fan mounts as well. I'll try to get a better photo soon. More as I get time to post photos of the different systems.

Attachments

• remote combo block for oil sensors.jpg
    remote combo block for oil sensors.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 315
  • GT40 refab'd fan mounts.jpg
    GT40 refab'd fan mounts.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 331
Last edited:
Almost forgot - this is one you won't find in the catalog. The folks at Canton have been most helpful. A special thanks to 'Junior' at Canton for the tank pictured. It's the short length tank with the sight tube addition found on the longer tank, modified by Canton for use as a catch tank. These (surge and catch tanks) weren't supplied by RCR. Since the fuel pumps, filters and lines were mounted right in the middle of the available space, we had to strip off the fuel system to mount the tanks, then re-mount the fuel system components in a different location. As a bonus, the pumps are now lower and closer to the fuel tanks, and, we made up vibration reducing mounts - eliminating some of the electric pump noise. RCR covered the firewall and cockpit floor/doors with Dyna-mat which should also help the niose issue in the cabin. As previously mentioned, the Dyna-mat is not standard issue with the T-K minus. Pics of fuel system are coming.

Attachments

• GT40 catch tank, Canton custom build.jpg
    GT40 catch tank, Canton custom build.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 343
Hi Al,
the connection to the engine on the catch tank, needs to be at the top, or it's potential contents will drain back into the engine. The bottom connector is the tank drain.
Regards,
Andy

Terminology,sorry - maybe better labeled as expansion and overflow tanks. This one is vented and returns fluid to the expansion tank so the plumbing is correct. The attached pic shows the feed to this tank from the upper outlet (right side top) of the expansion tank on the right side bulkhead. Top left (as you view it)of that tank is the radiator air bleed. Not all 'plumbing' was in place for that photo. The overflow tank outlet plug is temporary during construction. It would require a catch can here for track use.

Attachments

• GT40, fuel and coolant systems, MSD box, right side.jpg
    GT40, fuel and coolant systems, MSD box, right side.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 355
Last edited:
What exactly is a "turnkey minus" car? I always thought it was everything done except the install of the engine an transaxel, once this was done it is finished. Is that correct?

What exactly is a "turnkey minus" car? I always thought it was everything done except the install of the engine an transaxel, once this was done it is finished. Is that correct?

Starting to look like its you have to redo everything before you get to turn the key!!!:)

I'm sorry, I don't really understand, does "turnkey minus" mean ready to drive after engine and transaxel install, or go over the entire car to verify the build? If the latter is the case then I don't see the reason to upgrade from a roller. Is the turnkey minus a substantial monetary charge?

The common definition of a Turnkey Minus is plug in your driveline ang go.

A Roller is just that, go through everything, torque everything, make connections, wiring, plumbing, etc. Then plug in your driveline and go.

Back