A most fortunate day...

I thought I'd share with my fellow forum members what I just picked up last night, sometimes you just have to go for it, and the price was very reasonable...

Rick

Attachments

• 35167-DSCN1032.JPG
    35167-DSCN1032.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 462
Interesting. I'm a bit confused as to what you have there, is it a set of body panels, is it a set of body moulds or is it (as it looks to my totaly untrained eye) a set of moulds to make a set of body moulds?
Whatever it is....nice one !
Simon

Hi Simon, to answer your question, they are male body panels with flanges installed to produce female molds. A little cosmetic work here and there (in storage for a few years in a barn) but basically all the pieces required for a Mk I.

Rick

So let me ask this... these items are "plugs" for the mold to be made from.... is that correct?

Interesting... are you gonna start producing body panels?

Looks like a tremedous amount of effort went into producing these parts... not to mention the tremdous amount of effort required to make a complete body shell.. Wow!... Very nice.

mardyn

I really didn't have any plans per se in regards to producing body panels, my intention at this time is to just build the car from scratch with a monocoque tub.

The first thing on the agenda is to start making female molds, followed by a trial body for fit and finish. I'll definitely keep everyone updated with my progress complete with pictures...

Needless to say, I'm pretty freaked out right now with getting this, this is something I've wanted to do since I was 16 years old.

Rick

Gregg

Gregg
Lifetime Supporter
Rick, nice find, however I do have an observation which may be totally wrong. First let me say that it is after midnite and it's been a long day. Second be advised that I have very limited knowledge of mold making and may have read your post wrong. You advise that the parts are "males" which would imply that to make a mold of same you would be glassing the outside, grey colored fiberglass. If that is the case, and these parts are dimensional accurate now as a body, won't making a mold of the parts with those flanges affixed throw off the dimensions of the body by the thickness of the flanges? To my knowledge, molds are generally female, (I know some molds can be male) bolted together and then the parts are pulled from the inside. You may have to assemble the molds, glass over the joints on the inside and then grind down the flanges. You would then be left with an accurate body in which to pull a mold. Again, just an observation and I could be totally wrong. It's just something to think about. You havent't provided any pictures of the other side of the body parts. Are they raw fiberglass or is it a smooth finish in which to pull a body? I know there are fiberglass experts on the forum who can comment better then me. Good luck in you undertaking.

F3L, This is what I do for a living; make moulds and FRP parts from the moulds. I'm right in the middle of making moulds right now of the GT40 MKI & MKII. It's a lot of work. What you have there is male moulds made from female moulds captureing the flanges of the female moulds. You will have to layup pieces in these moulds to make your female moulds. All the hard work has been done for you. Making the flanges so moulds can be bolted together is where most of the work is. Knowing what materials to use is the most important part of the process along with surface preparation. I call these type of pieces "master moulds" Not many people take the time to make these. They are good to have incase the layup moulds get damaged. If you need any help in finding material supplies send me an email.

Thanks Bill, I'll take you up on that offer. First thing after the excitement dies down a bit is to categorize everything including making note of any spots to touch up prior to female mold fabrication.

Have you heard of Chavant's Rayite MDM Model Duplicating Media before being used for female mold production?

Rick

Devin

Supporter
Bill (or even Rick),

I know its probably early in your thought process right now, but what are your intentions with your MKI and II molds you are making?

Any chance that scratch builders will be able to get a set of body panels in the future?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

It would be great if at least we could get a set in the US/North America without having to worry about shipping and import stuff and probably save a bit of $$$ to boot.

Keep us updated please.

Devin

I don't mind considering that possibility in the future as it would be nice to have an available source located in North America, however, I'd like to see how the body panels come out first as I'm a firm believer in quality workmanship and I would not provide inferior parts if I can help it... I guess you could say that a limited run would be in the spirit of "supplementation" to already existing sources [only].

Rick /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Back