A Problem For the Panel

How would you handle the following issue?
Back in early November, after due diligence and much research, I decided to purchase a Superformance GT40 MK1 through Hillbank Motor Sports. I was told I could get a build date in July 2022 if I got my deposit in quickly, and that I could complete the build sheet in the following couple of months. All of the information I had read had stated that the car was “turn key minus engine and transaxle.” Even now the website, under FAQs, states “Yes all models include wheels and tires”, and further states “the Superformance GT 40 MK1 model is fitted with 15” BRM style wheels as standard.” Herein lies the problem. I was informed via email yesterday that the car comes with NO tires or wheels. And that ”$2750 is for the “standard” BRM wheels-they are not included in the base price.” Well, where I come from standard means standard, not a chargeable option. That means I will also incur the cost of a set of tires, approximately $2,000 more. He further stated that wheels and tires weren’t listed on the build sheet as “included”, so they are not standard equipment. I feel like I have been mislead and cheated. At this point I’m not sure I even want the car. I haven’t spoken with him since, but even though they say the deposit is nonrefundable, with a little legal influence, I’m pretty sure I could get my deposit back. How would you guys deal with this issue?

Neil

Supporter
I'd call SuperPerformance directly and ask them about whether the wheels are included, etc.

Dave Hood

Lifetime Supporter
I don't think calling Superformance directly would help you. As I understand it, Lance at Hillbank owns Superformance. They have changed their website since I purchased my car about seven years ago. The wheels are currently shown as a "Dealer Installed Option," which I assume means that would be an extra charge. But I assume the car should come with wheels. You should probably call Lance and talk with him.

My two pence worth is that that would be a little misleading you need to tell people when they are buying the car you need an engine transmission and some wheels quite a big thing to be missing quite a big thing not to be told that you need .if I was selling cars in excess of $100,000 I think I want to put it on wheels as standard and then charge for anything different. Also maybe on the spec sheet I have a section stipulating what is not supplied as standard then the customer has an idea of what you need to order either from a separate vendor or from yourself ,not a good start to the buyer ,seller relationship and in my book its one of the most important aspects of sales

hope you resolve your situation

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
"...the information I had read had stated that the car was “turn key minus engine and transaxle.” Even now the website, under FAQs, states “Yes all models include wheels and tires”..."

One would presume you signed some sort of 'contract' that spelled out all the particulars regarding the purchase/build. What does it say with regard to the above, Bart?
In any event, since Lance/Hillbank/Superformance at this point can't have incurred any real expense at all, and you made your deposit with the understanding the wheels and tires were included based on the statements made on the website, it would appear that both legally and morally you'd be entitled to cancel the whole deal and get your deposit back if no accommodation could be reached with regard to the wheels/tires expense.

JMPO. OMV.

I can't recall exactly what the precise term is right now, but I do remember from my high school 'business law' class(!) that there IS a legal term used to describe this 'mutual misunderstanding' situation between two parties to a contract which provides the grounds for cancelling an agreement.
Hey! I took that class over SIXTY YEARS AGO! Gimme a break! I'm OLD!

Dave Hood

Lifetime Supporter
To Larry's point, they also state in several places on the website that they provide a rolling chassis. I assume you'd need wheels in order to roll the car.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
To Larry's point, they also state in several places on the website that they provide a rolling chassis. I assume you'd need wheels in order to roll the car.

...then again the chassis could conceivably "roll" on four "wheels" made of plywood discs of the proper diameter with the proper lug pattern drilled into them. ;)

Davidmgbv8

Supporter
I think it is very clear from their advertising that wheels and tyres are included and BRM are dealer optional. I would hold their feet to the fire on this. If the contract does not specifically exclude and they are the writer of the contract I think a court would find in your favor. But be careful they may do a Cushman and then black ball you from buying further products from them.
1645112480995.png

1645112399392.png

Morten

Mortified GT
Supporter
Hi, Looks like Wheels and Gear lever & linkage are Dealer installed options!

Best be reading the fine print on contract before signing. But surely it would be more correct to solve this issue directly with the vendor, instead of on an open forum.

Kind regards
Morten

Attachments

• 058538DF-35F1-4F86-BD62-E00955B4507F.jpeg
    058538DF-35F1-4F86-BD62-E00955B4507F.jpeg
    154.1 KB · Views: 145
The GT40 order form from SPF clearly says wheels and tires are OPTIONS. Perhaps they changed their policy or pricing as I know several people that bought early cars and got wheels and Yokohama tires that came within the purchase price. But that was 10 years ago now. Didn't you have an order sheet filled out and contract agreed upon with them? The specs on their website are NOT what comes for the price. They are specs.

I'd call SuperPerformance directly and ask them about whether the wheels are included, etc.
Call Lance at Superformance. He's not unreasonable to deal with. I will agree there are conflicting details on the website about whether the wheels and tires are now included. They were included for many years. If you don't like what Lance says then cancel.

Cancel?? a GT40??
They always come at an extra $$$. Its part of owning a GT40. GT40's never come cheap, not even when you build one from scratch.
Been there done that.

You'r fckd, but just call up the guy and see what you can arange. You have no wheels now but might end up with something.

You are sheduled for mid 2022, if you cancel now, you'll end up with nothing (no GT40) and maby in the end after a long time court with just something in $$$.

GT40's don't fall out of a tree. You can not just pick one up and drive away.
Give it a night sleep, and go on in debate with the guy and try to get the best deal.
Thats my 50cnts

Bill Kearley

Supporter
The statement made ( getting your deposit in quickly for a build date of July 22 and completing the build sheet latter ) would give cause for more questions. Are they really that busy.
When I tried to buy a Superformance ( rolling ) included my choice of wheels and tires.

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
As Ben stated. His link shows BRM’s as standard equipment. Has no mention of tyres.
Make the call directly and get the facts first hand and in writing.

Regards Brian

Attachments

• 4E0FA74F-2A16-4981-A171-93CEC9C0A25F.png
    4E0FA74F-2A16-4981-A171-93CEC9C0A25F.png
    695.4 KB · Views: 129
Back