Adapter/bellhousing length for ZF (BMW) to FE or Windsor

Steve C

Steve
GT40s Supporter
1) Does anyone know the available length of adapter/bellhousing spacing from ZF (BMW) front flange to FE rear engine flange when the ZF input shaft is seated in the FE crank bearing....or for you Windsor guys if you know your bellhousing length diminsion I can adjust for the FE (the Windsor crank flange sits proud of the block by .25 and the FE sits proud by .67 so an additional .42" bellhousing is needed for an FE so...if I knew the Windsor belhousing length I could add .42 and would know the length needed for the FE..2)Also what thickness engine plate would be appropriate ( I need to fab one for the FE to adapter).....3)One more question should I have top or top and bottom access holes and cover plates in the bellhousing and any special way to bolt the ZF to the adapter??? Thanks! Steve

I recently had a conversation with a ZF transaxle expert about exactly this. I'm using a ZF with a side oiler.

Apparently the standard s/b bellhousing is 100mm (4"), and you need a further 25mm (1") for the FE.
Please don't take the latter measurement as gospel - check directly with an expert before splashing any cash. We talked about lots of things and my memory may be incorrect.

Be aware that different ZF boxes have different input shaft diameters and lengths. You can either have the long input shafts modified (ground down in length), or have a special thickness adapter made to suit.

You will most likely need a special flywheel, and a multiplate clutch. Both are available without too much trouble (no idea on part nos or prices though). The size of the input shaft roller bearing (or bush) will most likely be a special too.

Hope that helps. I know it is all a bit vague. give me a pm if you want to discuss specifics, or the guys phone number (he is in the uk).

Cheers,
John.

Ian Clark

Supporter
Hi Steve,

Just pull out your plastic and call Kennedy Engineered Products, 661 272 1147, They've already made plenty for the Pantera boys. Kennedy's Website It's not listed, however they'll make one up for you, they're doing two for me right now.

Cheers

Back