adjusting clutch with external pushrod on ZF

Just trying to dial in my ZF on my Mk2 - its mated to a 302 with a Kennedy bellhousing, external slave pushrod. When I release clutch, put into gear it will roll but has no power, even with more gas. Besides jacking up car, loosening up clutch, lowering and trying again is there any tricks like backing it out all the way then putting pressure?

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Is your pedal moving enough to get the fluid to return to the master? If not the slave will always have pressure,on and cause slip

Ian

the pedal goes all the way down, It doesn't move, I fully release the pedal and it will weakly move forward or backwards in reverse, but can't go over even a 1/2" piece of wood when giving it gas. Im guess I need to reduce the pressure on the clutch but seeking a quick way to do it.

Sounds like your clutch is disengaged all the time and the piston in the master cylinder cannot return far enough to allow the fluid to drain/return back to the resovoir. Adjust/shorten the pushrod from pedal to cylinder until you have a small amount of freeboard at the clutch pedal and do the same for the pushrod to slave cylinder. Then bleed the system. Should then be good to go. Also check that the clutch releases now, but does not ''over release'' by pushing too far on the clutch diaphragm.

Back