Adventure RV

Chris Kouba

Supporter
The wife and I were up at the mountain this weekend. Another successful shakedown run.

AIL4fc_vCfBCm7TEMR3aK1RGIlxDi2EAdEpsQaj2nLq023lbyJPG4AD9IlhiuMNtRl8VIBxsS_sGB5O7AONEqeBk_fUJwsoPANLu__Q-2XipWuKyG3i8hNPaunSrlFbWbJO2SrJZGkUe41dxFfNbc_DVRaXKIA=w1241-h931-s-no

AIL4fc9201WpU9qHdMLIWm3aDJ-co1kLJzMD6VzjrWrVm9nOzxNWLYF54OuV0pE_Hn-OuiKAmo6wi-wraXXvndH_Hy3qJayEeDEIZiZEIOqQP10XKoQrs98zrMSop9zOjVcpXX7awODB0qgBAzBq1lmVSjrUTg=w1241-h931-s-no

AIL4fc81ZN9Fn7K61L57_KPsxMNz403fMX4pQEt_VWXl-BSdij7ZsqyGCjjCYiLaGN6R97CcSl_61POMcTqZr-_Jrp1Qf58DjvDt4ffC4NXN8zBN8KBNrN7vAsAnslODujh35AV7Ok0y7QewwNZOfV-N6b3z_Q=w1241-h931-s-no

AIL4fc9r-xWVsevBvBcKiQelA7Y5RREDr0f8Zn32ZxmvZ1arrGPdRLwI1PHgKb80ROYEFLPvRqW-3qOWG9XMWBkjHKb7TqlHNb_2mayJtGSjZR0y8N2T3XyuIkkkYgtk1vfXd5Yvqt5eIYDZnE9StXu8UbtXMQ=w1241-h931-s-no

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Wow! Gorgeous neighborhood! So glad this rig is working out for you so well….

Chris Kouba

Supporter
I've been ignoring my GT and this project continues to consume all my spare time, but for good reason...

On Halloween night last year, I entered the lottery process for a permit to The Wave on a whim. It was a spontaneous decision for which I had the lowest of expectations as we've applied a number of times since our first visit and haven't scored an entry since. The lottery process is computer-run and at midnight on the first of any given month, the results are emailed out for dates four months out. I left work the following morning thinking it was weird that I didn't get my rejection email. Within 5 minutes of that thought, I did get an email- I got a permit for Friday, Feb 16th! Happy Valentines Day to the wife!!

This type of trip is quite literally the mission statement of this build. Go anywhere to see anything. There was no way we weren't taking the rig.

I had quite a bit of work to do to get it (wifey-approved) winter camping rated. Quite happily, it all worked out. We got out once or twice again to see how things ran under the NW's cloudy winter skies, and happily, we were still pulling in more power through the solar than we consumed. In addition, I enlarged the fuel tank to support the diesel powered glycol heater in addition to improving my operational range and the heater was able to keep things nice and comfortable. Had a bunch of other stuff that I also did along the way, but it's all a bit of a blur in the mirror at this point.

We left town a day early, trying to avoid a storm coming into the NW. We managed to stay ahead of it on the way out, and it didn't bother heading far enough south to trouble us once we got beyond Salt Lake City. Roads were clear from an earlier storm and we made excellent progress. With wanting to beat the weather and ensure we were in Kanab to meet friends on Thurs, I let the rig run as it wanted. At times, I would look down to see mid- to high-70's on the speedo, even getting to 80's. It's kind of crazy...

We had friends (Jeff and Jill) fly into Vegas and meet us in Kanab, UT for lunch on Thurs (the permit was for 4 people + dog). We headed out into the wilderness that evening and they stayed at a hotel in town that night, meeting us early the next morning at the trailhead. We had a fantastic day on the rock- retracing the route the ranger guided us into the area in 2018 and catching the neat places to see along the way. The BLM has more than tripled the amount of people who are allowed in the permit area since we first went (from 20 to 64 per day), but we managed to have the actual Wave to ourselves for ~40 minutes when we arrived. We took all the pics we wanted and then sat down to have a snack... which is when people started to stream in every ~5-10 minutes. We really lucked out and enjoyed the time- and we knew it was special while still in the moment.

Since it was getting "crowded", we went on our walkabout to the other scenic attractions in the area. We had a lovely time, and I was very happy for B, who missed out on this portion of the experience on our first visit. This time, we were able to hike it together at our pace.

This took us 3-4 hours (we weren't really watching or caring, still had plenty of daylight), and it brought us back to the top of the Wave again. And it was empty for us, again. We took a bunch more pics and then headed over to another set of flowing features which was basically a mini-Wave and had it to ourselves. After more pics there, we were ready to call it a day.

We hiked out and Jeff and Jill came back to where we were camping and B and I prepared a lovely pan-seared cajun salmon on rice with veggies dinner with some refreshing adult beverages. It was a FANTASTIC way to wrap up the day!!

Saturday we were going to continue with the fun itinerary we planned for the rest of the week, but while transiting through deep sand, the truck went into limp mode, turned on its check engine light, and made things interesting for getting out of the sand with minimal hp's. We managed to get back to a solid dirt road, and since the rig was still running, we took ran it all the way out to the pavement. Upon reaching the pavement, something told the computer that things were OK and it shut off limp mode and the CEL. I figured we'd be ~2h trying to get back to Kanab but we were there in ~40m.

I have diagnostic gear and sorted through things. It was now Sat evening, so there weren't any places which could really help us, so we caught back up with Jeff and Jill for dinner and hunkered down in Kanab til Monday. Checking in with my big truck addict support group, I found a shop in Cedar City which could help us out. We got there without a CEL or code again, including climbing over a pass just shy of 10k(!). Things seemed stable but an oil change helped. We made the decision to head home at that point and really fix it though, instead of wing it and see what happens in the wild.

We had originally planned a 2w trip at the end of April/beginning of May, which is the next outing for the rig. I have a definite timeline to get it remedied as we have other friends who also scored a Wave permit for that trip. I don't want to miss it.

On the way:
AP1GczPoZEt-kReh8nTA1w9x9j1Ba4wS7VD1U88ZM4jzfcdCd1gsi0sGCSZw1veTQN2R_uGa1hjU6x3DpXA8VTE3yFTeRGlbJey7-1WZyqB22knnW5W5iGVj9Ou58VmsSWwtLB1lcWbk5Ez0fAC3EvaQ0pp_=w1252-h564-s-no-gm

Glamor shot:
AP1GczNKGzNgFowXHXMUFrEON0VEi5vZ5CPqDBYf4XH7x717Qs6t47-dWehu1OtHI3Y4zgY9uLUSWCo0COa0uhz2NB0Ls8JkBjwaAF3wNJop-eAq2o5zdLLx5qO4DUo2fE_fPWqfXNuQ061LN3M9cT7rEPY9=w947-h778-s-no-gm

Getting closer:
AP1GczMse08diS8b2S9ORjQ7zUqqqewNzIVpLqhAff61ZjDhbEuLhCk9ClaOAyrg-HiPV9aysguiyq3tmvkqoX4IyZk2-ROl3QlEep2tjA1ra9FJXYL-6HQtvuMuC6BzbluxoaSoHwx9URbnVCoMIwHTghNp=w1252-h563-s-no-gm

Heading in:
AP1GczO9tiPRhRGLao_0lNhuUzQ4AUPwNlvj8HmmkAm5O7P1Z7XygV8tR0PCo2teVoxu7qUKQZgtbkr99_n4dhIWGRRXpIK_w20lH4IeI1uWxmauNEOxAbFX4MhN52o9b6dgGJ5brjwMCw1IqMhBqMX0y3Dn=w584-h778-s-no-gm

Scenery!
AP1GczPAKo4XXBVTN7qTpXRj0jU5EuOljZ_yb-VZ4lvfVbnYqzeLDlw3-Trn-vhaekf9i2gCL-REaAdqHTc66_sYtcS6tZBhyo-9ChpdqOG-kT1NHiDB7eStdt6CBJc3pr4zN_wCzSWGdZ2gTL8vuj2G2DZk=w1252-h563-s-no-gm

More scenery on the way in
AP1GczNzYGEdIId7XLM3Pl_rmLiv6tb3AQy4gA7PyhemdNGH6DnWm1dfMB_obQ0xMnvdDogMdMozO08Fl9sZs-AlEijHlhxoo0INUw4me3RXt9ERzWqJWRvAFVI_YxUmmWb3REib7hJ2w1f9SoU22gLh_-vI=w519-h778-s-no-gm

Looking down into the Wave
AP1GczMwB6y0nIt2YKTw0YZJCG04lT7uJ8Z4N2WlvUTHfSexFbrofP7i6sLiQJH9JnlVDSDiMZbAcVFkLCNs9SaDgk-2F-2Slqw2gGb0HZrIg_hmPGleys4sXQ0jouXupDDXj6zYo_AhNkBrRFH063oL8t_H=w1167-h778-s-no-gm

Glamor shot II
AP1GczP8gYv57dgYqbX4AA-62IGLG2P17l8tENHCs7S1_84xufDiNREPdvH1wvnRM6q1_7tqKWiGCqXq0XrL_Zkl7rdkerGX4q2ClLJC2AN1Pzxs36l11TqUSOY5d9ox6sYwTtAzr599l3o7n5FfzqauWjUc=w1167-h778-s-no-gm

The Wave
AP1GczM53a7MJiiC07Bgzd1pfXZwiTQBa0kdUc-IiwhKcn94oYB5_fAJNd3C16BuK1sfWOxYG7w_gYoe-Nv2TbSQziIDTLnaYSSrAiBFm_GxcB-4oIziNptY-5O-kTvK3bCZUXyiteauOHF9PzF-DMm0J6uo=w1252-h563-s-no-gm

Later in the day
AP1GczMGtiayWif1nRfqXMAACwq_08TBVjxEJEwBwMbMwraJjj3AVX2Lbd-zZLLoPK72wzaWq_hYa3a7b-RsUJoAjWt8bzLYWOIwnGw-J7_-NIrBfRHRM7SNzkK6BapwPFY5eH00yV-wAjYBYZw3FFyj3AgA=w1167-h778-s-no-gm

The highlight pics album:

Last edited:

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Wonderful journey & beautiful photos!
I’d really love to photograph that area, but wonder if it’s wise for me since I’m in my 70‘s… I’m pretty stabile as a flatland hiker - I can do some climbing, but descents are murder on my back and other lower extremity joints..

Chris Kouba

Supporter
Quick update on this project- it runs again!!

I've had it torn down extensively to address the motor issue we had in UT. If you're familiar with diesel injection, I had to replace the HEUI pump. It's the pump which supplies high pressure engine oil (~4,000 psi) to run the injectors hydraulically. In addition, I decided to do a bit of extra investigation and bulletproofing. It made a bit more work, but will be worth it for peace of mind in the backcountry.

What's not here? The HEUI pump is supposed to live in the oily, messy area:
AP1GczMymqyxUeQu4yBZrq4Cz7PM28Y2HdGtpR5AucrPHaPaGUVph0XbzXXJErWiFIsU0MK6ohT-GOQek3Om3rHVkJXlRGWcU5Tw98yHJetSL5WEPw0PnRzrTwQ_uqfSSJRyF5g2DaDL62avlZS4WG7C-BWMfQ=w689-h919-s-no-gm

Lots of missing pieces:
AP1GczM6xYVdb_LeUjGoUXQqaxRA_PrEtn17zljojfjhIDsa0eiopemfIhji7zK_8-ZdscWUg19C1SrXNIqkcDZhI7LgH0uo9tAiJX0zRFK_dPgtpOIwnmp6N9DMYKmqhLwd72EDsVe6aW5a1CM2-B2BmqCSWg=w1225-h919-s-no-gm

Fresh, new oil pump:
AP1GczPf59DbagPMwkrfDQca83lPYUsiew7ueuJqod1JKnGIstZrKeZwJW-cVKyByOC0h4Vticz76bLJSk7vxNiKCqfdlL9W_e7pAJg8xbNxxH89FcxIk5AfTxbds4BqhrqrPaWCTWqvDBYUaKWWcNvaIYlCxg=w1920-h865-s-no-gm

Overall, it went pretty well. I took my time with it and went methodically. I had it on the open road again yesterday and it felt very smooth, noticeably smoother than prior to the pump swap. No additional power (not the intention either), but it ran very well.

It needs a few other little things to truly wrap it up, and then I need to get the bathroom back together quickly- we leave again on 4/24! Very nervously looking forward to it.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
As a former Navy Engineman (Diesel Mechanic) Wow!
At least you had pretty good and open access.. The pressures you’re dealing with are high enough to be quite dangerous - please take good care around any potential leaks…

Bill Kearley

Supporter
200 hour oil changes are the key to on highway Cat engines especially with HEUI pumps. My first 3406B I rebuilt at 20000 hr. and 1.5 mil. miles. as it turned out I could have gone 2 mil. And we wont talk about the failed ACERT systems !!!!!

Back