air conditioning system

Any clues on price? My missus really wants a/c; I'm not convinced.

Also, if you plan to remove the a/c, what do you plan to use instead?

Cheers,

Darren

I am looking for £500, its hardly used and it was only charged last year. I find that with the heat resistant material on the firewall, A/C isn't needed even in fairly warm summer days.

I plan to reposition my engine oil cooler in the space vacated by the A/C, at present the cooler is in front of one of the rear grilles in the engine bay. At a recent track day at Silverstone I found that the engine oil temperature went as high as 140 degees, its probably is not getting enough cool air.

Sibbat, I wouldn't be too worried about engine oil temps of 140 degrees F. If you mean 140 degrees celcius well, yes, that's a BIG problem!

A good motor oil doesn't really start to materially deteriorate in terms of it's performance to spec until you begin to approach 200 degrees F. 190 is warmish, 200 is warm and 210 is hot. 220+ is too damn hot for extended exposure.

Air cooled porsches regularly run in the 200-220 temp range per factory spec (thermostat doesn't even open until about 185) and 240 isn't uncommon on a really hot day.

Cliff, I was simply reading the temperature off the oil temp. gauge which I presume is calibrated in degrees celcius.

Hi Sibbat, would definitely be good to know how your gauge is calibrated (celcius or fahrenheit). 140 celcius is too hot for reliable long-term operating cycles - that's 285 degrees fahrenheit. I wouldn't want to run more than 120 C so, yes, an oil cooler would be a good move. If you're running 140 fahrenheit then that's actually probably too cold (assuming the engine is up to operating temp) - a continuously cold running engine will end up with coking and all sorts of cylinder and value problems IMHO.

Back