Airbox

Michael Fling

Supporter
I have an LS3 with a street tail. I was considering fabricating an airbox around my intake filter that is sealed when the bonnet is down. It gets the air from the 2 rear inlets on top of the rear bonnet and from the roof inlet...you know- the cold air induction thing. Has anyone tried this? Any pros or cons?

I do believe Fran had one on his 01 car when it had the street tail.But also he has a louver vent between the inlets. Send me a reply via Email I will send you a photo or two.

Hi yes I am pretty sure it will work I have been working on other things here and there and haven't quite completed that part of it but it will be coming up soon. After building the parts for it I got to thinking that building a shaker box with the air scoops built in as a all in one unit and poke a hole through the rear clam would work better but that would be a lot of work and I am running out of energy lol maybe another time but I am just wanting to get it on the road now without building a lot of other custom parts as there is still lot to do and I have less time on my hands.

Last edited:
I hadn't thought of using a "shaker box", might be a good concept to explore. Thanks for "thinking out of the box" (pun intended).....

I have an LS3 with a street tail. I was considering fabricating an airbox around my intake filter that is sealed when the bonnet is down. It gets the air from the 2 rear inlets on top of the rear bonnet and from the roof inlet...you know- the cold air induction thing. Has anyone tried this? Any pros or cons?

This works well, air temp data seem to prove it's effectiveness. draws air from the rear inlets only.

IMG_5667_zpsdrs7icgo.jpg

IMG_5666_zpsf057eca8.jpg

Last edited:

Michael Fling

Supporter
TY for the pics. It seems that at speed this is a great idea. In city driving with starting/stopping... is it OK? Any rules or recommendations about spacing from air filter?

DSC00659-1.jpg

DSC00660-1.jpg

I am considering inlets from the top of my street tail and from the roof scoop. Because I am not running a tranny cooler, I could bring ducting from the side vent on passenger side too.

Back