Alans Scratch build

Starting the welding jig squared up ends on the Hass using XYZ to make measurement.
IMG_20200429_194521-1.jpg

Setting up CNC to cut frame parts each hole is 1.00 apart and a pin is set at size up to 72 inches then program number in X is changed say .375 parts will be within .010 should be tack welding sunday.

Attachments

• 20200501_193843.jpg
    20200501_193843.jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 777

Neil

Supporter
Make the diagonal measurements equal from corner to corner and you are guaranteed square.

Joel K

Supporter
Wow whathat a great set of you tube videos I plan on watching them all. Thanks for sharing

Thanks Alan, considering you have a CNC I bet you’ll get a good chuckle watching me struggling through machining parts with the light duty harbor freight mill. I will say, machining the custom parts is turning into a favorite aspect of the build process I was not expecting.

I don’t see a CNC in my future, but may get into 3D printing when I move to the interior work. It may come in handy.

but WILL get into 3D printing when I move to the interior work. It WILL come in handy.

Fixed it for you. I've printed 2 dozen bits and pieces for the interior already. Another good use is prototyping stuff you will make from Aluminum before you spend the time machining it to make sure all of the dimensions and tolerances are correct. I 3D printed brake caliper brackets before I made them from metal, save me at least 1 and possibly two revisions for clearances I didn't see being an issue.

Agree, the 3d printing is a good entry point. Anyone can then check the design fits and works before you commit to getting something done as a final version in metal. you can also iterate the design with manufacturing in mind, check multiple pats ect.
then when the time comes, you have the option of sending it out to get CNC'ed if you dont have the capabilities. There are lots of places that have CNC these days.

Thanks Alan, considering you have a CNC I bet you’ll get a good chuckle watching me struggling through machining parts with the light duty harbor freight mill. I will say, machining the custom parts is turning into a favorite aspect of the build process I was not expecting.

I don’t see a CNC in my future, but may get into 3D printing when I move to the interior work. It may come A CNC can make very accurate parts basically all the parts. and a cad program ( I use Master Cam) has helped me decipher the drawing that has blurry missing dimension, figured out the frame. For now only tack welding it to see if the body fits. It's fun to build for sure.

Working on chassis considering suspension with adjustable compression rebound damping shocks, modifying them to get a light coil maybe 350 lbs then using nitrogen for final ride. I got 20 bodies ready to be machined into shorter lengths.

Attachments

• IMG_20200520_120743.jpg
    IMG_20200520_120743.jpg
    260.2 KB · Views: 724
  • IMG_20200520_121036.jpg
    IMG_20200520_121036.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 710
  • IMG_20200521_083022.jpg
    IMG_20200521_083022.jpg
    277.3 KB · Views: 705
Back