Ali panelling

Ok, I'm sure this has been asked before, but the car that I've bought has some ropey aluminium panelling which I want to renew. The cabin's fina as it'll be covered with carpet, but under the bonet and rear I'd like it to be as nice as possible. Whats the best way to acheive a nice straight line without getting rough edges and bending of the ali?
would stainless be an option? I know its harder and more expensive, but is it do-able?
Thanks
Simon

Hi Simon,

Cutting aluminium is not a problem if you use the correct tools. We have a guillotine,brake press, rollers and a small hand folder which can handle everything you require. Give me a ring or e-mail if you need any help.
I also have 10 mtrs of the Ali hockey style trim which will finish off all straight edges.
St/St looks nice but can be a problem if it becomes scratched as it takes a lot of hard polishing to remove them. Also, Ali looks nice if painted,powder coated or anodised & is far cheaper than St/St.

Regards, Paul.

Hi Simon,
Recent quotes for:

Aluminium - 1.2m * 2.4m thickness 3mm £48.00 +VAT
S/S - 1.25m * 2.5m thickness .9mm £49.00 + VAT
S/S - 1m * 2m thickness .9mm £33.00 +VAT

That was from ASC in Northampton who I have no financial interest in whatsoever - Tel: 01604 415036. I believe they have a few depots around the country.

I have stainless cooker backsplashes made - cut to design and edges folded - costs me £10 -£15 per for 2 -3 at a time.

Hope this helps.

Regards, Alex

Howard Jones

Supporter
My GTD is all SS, It looks very good but is hard on drill bits and VERY hard to trim just a little off one edge,1/4-1/2" or so. Over all alum is much easier to work with but will dent easier also and is generally harder on up keep.You must have a brake to make pannels, if you don't, buy a cheep one that can handle 3 foot sections and make right angle bends full lenght. You could always sell it on this forum after you are done I would think.

You can buy a 3 in 1 Brake, shear and roll from Northern Toll for about 400 quid. According to the catalogue it'll cut & bend up to 762mm wide 20-guage steel.

If you decide to get one, let me know as I've been umming & ahhing about getting one for months now!

Hi (again) Simon,

As to metal bashing.

You should sign up at your local college for a metal work / welding course. For around 100 ish quid for a year you get access to all the professional metal work tools and light industrial machinery you could need. Metal cutting guillotines, power folders, welders, metal cutting bandsaws etc. Best of all the guys running the evening classes are generally keen to help with out of the ordinary projects.

Regards, Alex

Brian Magee

Supporter
Julian

I am also considering the 3 in 1 machine from Northern Tools. Maybe we could get a quantity discount! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Brian

Brian,

I would like to say 'great minds think alike', but I'd be flattering myself /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

FWIW when GTD were in business they were selling the ally panneling kit for 700 + VAT. For that money you could buy the 3 in 1 tool *and* the metal *and* a crate of beer, make the panels & still have money in your pocket!!

If you do buy one before me, let me know how you get on with it!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Back