Aluminium cleaner

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Does anyone know of a product that cleans highly polished Aluminium without removing the shine or leaving a residue. I did do a search but the only information I could find was on cleaning cast aluminium.
I know of Septone Alibrite but it is acid based and I worry that it may etch the polished surface.

Pete, is the aluminum coated with a finish? And what are you trying to clean? Is it road tar or something like an adhesive residue, or do you want to "freshen" it up a bit.

If the aluminum is coated, I'd use nothing more than a good wax that I'd use on any automotive paint finish.

If it's NOT coated and you want to remove some kind of gunk, you may want to give acetone on soft cotton rag a try, being careful to heed all safety requirements so you don't pass out or blow yourself up, but be sure to test on a hidden area first.

If you want to "freshen" it up a bit. I'd go with a compound called Nuvite (available in a variety of grades) on a random orbit machine covered with a cotton cloth. I used my Porta Cable random orbit sander I used for woodworking, but with a foam head.

Brian

For bare polished aluminium try a product called 'Bule Diamond'. Comes in a toothpaste tube sized container.

Was put on to it by a professional polisher when I had some motorcycle frames polished.

I was also cautioned NOT to use autosol.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Brian and Scott, thanks, but I am talking a large area a horse float, and it is mostly road grime so polish is not the answer.
I have seen a lot of big rigs (trucks) with large areas of ally that are sparkling, I wonder what they use?
Any truckers out there?

This stuff is the bomb for ally that is already highly polished. Don't know if you can get it in OZ though.

Home Page
Nevrdull is wonderful stuff for cleaning metal, especially oxidized surfaces.

If you can't find it there, the general advice is only use something intended for soft metals like aluminum. You wouldn't want to use a cleaner or polish that's intended for chrome.

I've used a ton of aluminum polish, and the best stuff BY FAR is a product called Nuvite.
I'm partial to the Nuvite "Nu-Image" for polished metal. It is used by Boeing on their aluminum, and it is amazing. I have a Formula 5000 car that I race locally, and it has an aluminum tub, aluminum fuel pods, and an aluminum wing, that I polish constantly. the Nu-Image is the easiest, and produces an outstanding shine.

Here's the link, and look at the bottom of the page.

Nuvite

Enjoy.

You might look at two products. One is Mother's Metal polish, the other is Zoops Seal. I used the Mothers on my stainless and after 3-4 years of being handled etc. it brightened up very well. The shine hurts my eyes. I have the engine turning designs in my finish and the polish doesnot affect it at all The Zoops is advertised as lasting a full season of racing. Supposed to actually seal the aluminum.

Bill
Bill

Back