Another headlight ?

Picking up a used pair of the Aventador style Morimoto LED tail lights, and that got me to looking for headlights again. I know a few of you have gone with OEM branded setups other than the Hella set that comes with the kit. Has anyone looked at the later model Camaro sets and done any checking about fitting roughly where the SL-C headlights are? Probably trim off the OEM clear cover to fit in the SL-C lines under the existing polycarbonate or lexan. No car yet, so I can't go measure it with a junkyard spare for myself.

Scott

Lifetime Supporter
I've bought a bunch of headlights on eBay. To check the fit, I cover the lens with packing tape, wax it and then do a thin fiberglass layup. I had high hopes with several when I laid the shell on the body because the fit was good. However, I bonded two steel plates on top of the shell so that I could use a magnetic digital level to ensure that the orientation was correct.

Here's a Ferrari 458... looks good
1678739338212.png

However, when the correct orientated, the fit is a disaster as you can see from the orange line below.

1678739664905.png

It now occurs to me that a much easier way to check fit would be to bond two plates to one of the RCR polycarbonate lenes, place it on the car and record the pitch and yaw angles. It would then be a simple matter to bring that to any car and check fitment. No need to purchase the light and make a custom shell just to do a basic check. You could lay some cloth down if the owner were paranoid about a scratch. My guess is that I'd need to trim the part of the lens that wraps around the side of the car in case we find something that actually fits. I might have an extra lens laying around....

Thanks for showing me how you went about trying to see what fit. I may still just grab some cheap junkyard parts to see what will fit, I'm going to try to keep the factory stuff close to it's current shape and not redo the entire fender, but that may be what happens in the end.

I guess the only variable left is the degrees of adjustment that the headlight has to compensate for the wrong pitch angle, the jaguar F type headlights have a ton of adjustment side to side but not sure if enough on the vertical plane, I will find out soon. Great work as always Scott.

There are guys that do HID conversations on existing housings. Truckers have a guy the regularly use. He could make sure the aim is correct for the new angles.

here is the set for my truck

Last edited:
Back