Another New Guy

Hey guys! I have been lurking here for a while now. I finished my LSC Cobra build in 2008. I was going to build a helicopter for my next project but the wife said NO WAY! I have always loved the GT 40 and I figured that would be next on my list. But then I saw the SL-C. Now I am really torn. I plan on heading up to visit with Fran this summer to hopefully sit in both cars and ask all the questions. I like the nice finish on the bodies, especially the SL-C. One question I do have for you guys is about the bodies. Does the body for the SL-C have a better fit / finish than the GT40? Can I sand and polish the gel coat to look pretty good for a while? On the cobras, as soon as you begin to sand, the black disappears and you are looking at raw glass so running in gel coat is not possible. I have read about the challenge of fitting the GT40 body and that bothers me. The body work on the cobra was a royal PITA and was not very fun. The fit was wayyyyy off. I look forward to following your builds and taking notes.

sseaner

Hi Scott,

Beautiful job on the cobra!

The fit and finish is quite good on the SL-C....just take a look at Alex's handiwork in his build log. The detail given by Fran to his body work is WAY above the rest!

The gelcoat is leagues ahead of others imho - you can sand/polish it and not be embarassed to run it as is. That's my plan actually. There's a few low spots in the mold where you see the underlying glass, but they're few and far between and no biggie.

A helicopter though would be pretty cool - not certain if I'd have the balls for it though; scary enough driving somethign you built with 4 wheels on the ground; can't imagine 0 wheels on the ground :lipsrsealed:

I cant wait to see the cars in person. It will be tough to decide between the two cars but the more I see the SL-C the more I like it. But the GT40 is so classic. My plan is to run the gel coat for a while with some race decals. I am leaning towards red gel coat.

Scot, I am in Baton Rouge. The Cobra is beautiful! How would you rate LSC? It seems that interior has a lot of custom work! Would love to go for a spin if you are ever in the BR area.

The LSC kit is a nice kit. The body finish though is typical of the cobra components. High seams with doors and lids that don't fit. I usually do not get the Cobra up to the Baton Rouge area but if you are ever down here let me know. I learned a lot on that build and will be taking some of the things I like (like encrypted keyless ignition, second skin, lizard skin, etc) to my next build. Ahhhh....the dreaded cup holders. I will apologize up front but they are definitely on my next build.

Welcome Scott, I build helicopters for a living. I agree with your wife on that one... LOL Ever heard of the Agusta koala 119, AW139 and 109? Beautiful, cobra build. i also plan on paying fran a visit very soon...

Yep, I had one of the RotoWays kits in the past and had a turbine engine conversion. But my wife didn't want me to become a "Lawn Dart"!!

Yes I know those helicopters. Very Nice machines. So you build them? I bet your car build will be incredible. I was looking at the helicycle but that was vetoed:cry: so I will stick to building ground based vehicles for now. I currently fly a B407 and a UH1H. Certified machines = longer life:thumbsup:

web.jpg

Yes I know those helicopters. Very Nice machines. So you build them? I bet your car build will be incredible. I was looking at the helicycle but that was vetoed:cry: so I will stick to building ground based vehicles for now. I currently fly a B407 and a UH1H. Certified machines = longer life:thumbsup:

web.jpg

Yep!! Well, I hope so.. Trying to turn the SL-C into a powerful supercar and something to break World Records with. Looking for new Funding now.. Gonna put some very neat and cutting edge electronics into the car once it starts...
But this finding funding thing is OH SO MUCH FUN!!!!:thumbsdown:

Back