Anyone Identify this Incident?

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
It's always a case of abandoning it while the seat is still within the operating envelope. Too much negative vertical velocity in the aeroplane compared with
the positive vertical velocity that the seat can generate means an unsuccessful
day out. There is a reasonable probability that by the time ejecting out of the aeroplane becomes one of the few remaining options, the aeroplane is going to become damaged well beyond repair so it really is just a function of how soon the decision is made. Leaving the decision too late invariably spoils everthing.

http://www.ejectionsite.com/ejecttriv.htm

Last edited:

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
I'm fascinated with the wake on the water surface under the craft. No disturbance during hover, then an obvious disturbance, then none as the craft fell. too bad there is no sound.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Victor, I think you are mistaken. From the engine thrusting, then failing and for the pilot to initiate the sequence of leaving the aeroplane was almost instant. He was well clear of the public anyway. For many years now all flying displays in the UK and Europe are governed by and flown in accordance with Ministry of Defence (MOD) and Civil Airworthinesss Authority (CAA) Flying Display Orders and this is usually delegated to the show organisers as well to produce various lines that protect the crowd in the event of such problems. Lowestoft Flying Display would have produced such orders and instructions and the aeroplane was in the hover offshore well clear of the public. His only thought was survival and he succeeded. Once the engine failed he had no control of the aeroplane anyway as he was relying on vectored thrust - of which he had none available.

I'll keep my helicopters..not that violent of a departure when exiting the aircraft....if you do the auto-rotation correctly.
Grady

Pat Buckley

GT40s Supporter
He should have waited a second or so longer....that way he could have done a Buggs Bunny and just stepped away from the POS.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Apparently not Simon. There were other issues - One cause I heard was that disorientation might have been a contributing cause. Middle ears and the seat of your pants can do strange things. It still looks like a simple engine run down to me though.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Toronto accident was 120 (CXX) squadron from Kinloss, Scotland.
The recent accident in Afghanistan was in fact 120sqn crew 3 which was my old crew though I finished flying in the RAF Nimrods in 1994 and this last accident was September 2006.

Back