Anyone tried a 996/997 tiptronic???

I searched and didn't find anything...Are you building a Superlite Coupe? Fran stated in a few other threads that the Vette tranny wouldn't fit in the SLC chassis:/

I would stay away from the Aisin 997 gearbox currently. THEY ARE NOT BULLETPROOF !!!

They use a fiber lined, yes FIBER lined synchronizer ring that will not keep it's coefficient of friction as heat develops in the box. Guys who are running the Koni challenge are having large problems keeping these in service, with Porsche currently only allowing replacement gearboxes to be sold and no parts released directly to date. We have developed some parts for the geabox, but it takes time and large financial resources. We have 2 currently in the shop for repairs and fitment of new differentials, and some of our new parts. I am not impressed with the syncrho issue, and I wold say it would be a better option to use an inverted 996 C2, or Boxster 5 6/S, even the Cayman 5/6 speed before looking at the new 997, at least you can get parts for those. We have had extensive experience with the 996 gearbox, and it is a stout unit that will readily hold the torque of a well prepared street car, around 400-500 ft lbs. in my estimation. Check my website home page for a red 996 we did for an Ultima in the UK. The inversion is a little tricky, and we do a good amount of machining to the gearbox to correct some issues we find with the manufacturing, but they are a fairly reasonably priced option. Lsd's and Tbd's are available as well. Light too.

Last edited:
Thanks Ryan,
I was wondering why we hadn't heard more about that box. Now what exactly is the 996 box, is it a G50 derivitave?

This is what Renegade has to say about the G transaxles. I have one in my Ultima and they are 100% correct. Plus this box is to LONG for most Gt 40 cars.

John

Plus you can NOT work now these, Take a 40,000 lbs press and alot of experance.

While the idea of a six-speed Porsche transaxle has quite an attractive appeal, these pricey little gems are usually not a good choice for your V-8 project. Porsche developed the majority of these close ratio short-geared boxes so that the limited power band, and extremely high RPM Porsche motors, would stay within their high RPM "sweet spot" while shifting through the gears. In other words, your first gear is way too low and virtually unusable with a V-8, second through fifth; you are spending more time shifting than standing on the gas; and sixth is a very short, under 150 MPH, disappointment. This is not like the GM six speed transmissions that boast 1700 RPM at 70 MPH. Sorry. It's more like 2800 RPM at 70 MPH in sixth... Ouch.

There is one exception. There is a few Porsche 6 speeds that have a little taller gears. They are still not nearly as tall as the GM transmissions, but it is a six speed.

The gearboxes from the 996 series of Porsche are ENTIRELY serviceable, and they are a good portion of our daily business. For the novice they are not a DIY rebuild reccomendation, and do take an enormous amount of press power and experience to do correctly. Reason being, they are an interference fit, with very little splining on the shafts. Nothing just comes off and on with a puller, it has to pressed off and on. I have rebuilt these units for Porsche dealers, as Porsche is currently not reccomending they be rebuilt in house by the dealer. Very tricky to get the tolerance and stack up correctly to where it will shift and not pop out of gear.

They compromise the following Id # codes:
G96.00
G96.01
G96.30
G96.31
2wd and 4wd formats as equipped in the Carrerra from 99 to 05.

They are not based on the 90+ G50 architecture like the later model Turbo and GT2/3 units, and are a completely different design.

They have been used in the Ultimas for some time as a good price point unit.

Hope it helps gents.

dean

Supporter
a question for ryan

I have a 996 box i purchased a few years back. i was going to built an ultima that's why acquired it but plans have changed and now i instead have 2 pantera's. I was thinking of putting the 996 box in one of the pantera as one of my zf will cost a small fortune to fix.
now come the questions. what hp and torque rating on this box. can you change the gear to higher gear to accomodate the american v8. is the gear prohibitive expansive similar to the zf.

Currently we do not distribute any gear ratio changes for the 996 C2/C4 Carrera series of gearbox;

This inludes the following Id codes.

G96.00/01/30/31

This does not include the 996 TT, GT2 or GT3. We have an extensive variety of gearing for all positions for these units.

The reason being is:

We only use OE. Porsche or Porsche Motorsport gearing, with the exception of aftermarket gearing by GT. These are the only gearsets that I can place in a gearbox, warranty and not worry about noise, or the gears eating themselves, or just plain breaking behind a V8 with grabby tires.

I have had experience with other cutters and currently just cannot stand behind their quality without seeing more effective teeth profiles and fit.

That is just our position. They're may very well be other guys making gearing for these gearboxes and this may be something we could look into, or setup for the future. Just nothing available from me currently for these. I do agree the gearing is a short, however you msut remember nothing is perfect unless you pay for it. They are a good price point level gearbox will acceptable street ratios, good torque capacity and fine performance. I would reccomend them for a budget conscience build with no hesitations.

Also I am currently looking for a couple Zf's for my "69 Valkyrie. I am considering scrapping the whole open road race Cannonball run style super-car build, in favor of a modern interpretation of the old original 427 Chev to ZF Valk's that started the craze for Fiber Fab. I'd be interested in your unit if you were selling it sir. In disrepair preferably.

Take care gents, boxes to build.

dean

Supporter
I live about 5 minutes away from RBT transmission and took both of my zf down to lloyd to look at. his advice was to combine both transmission into one because i had a few bad gears, hubs and sincros. one of my good friend is fixing the transmission and it's not done yet. once he's done i'll let you know if there is anything left to salvage.

Thanks Dean,

I would be happy to make an offer on the remaining parts available for salvage. I appreaciate the consideration sir, we are begining to develop a ZF rebuild program and I am looking for cores and parts as well as a gearbox for my Valk.

Cheers.

Back