Audi 016 and Audi 01e help

I have a mid engine kit car with a Lexus 4.0 V8 mated to a
reinforced Audi 016 transmission.
What can I do to get the strongest 016 transmission in the whole world.

Last edited:
I have a mid engine kit car with a Lexus 4.0 V8 mated to a
reinforced Audi 016 transmission.

I would like to swap the 016 5 speed that is currently in the car
for a 01e 5 speed (I know 5spd is rare)
considering I could find a 01e 5speed, is this a good idea?

Do the two transmissions swap without fabrication to the shift-linkage and
the transmission mounts.
I think I heard that one axle is longer than the other because the 01e is offset. So I'd need custom axles. What else? remember this is a completely built car.

There's a LOT of existing information on the forum here comparing 016 to 01e - search is your friend, I think you'll find all the answers to your questions pretty quickly.

Good luck!

yeah i just found the reverse shift pattern of the 01e is different so i edited my post.
the 01e wont work in my car.

but im still interested in what i can do to make the 016 strong as physically possible. No expense spared. sounds silly but it would cost me a bank to change the transmission. the whole car is built around it as is.

you're sh!tting me? i didnt know you could change the shift pattern.
it's still a 6 speed and the car is a 5 speed by design.
It's a replica with a 5 speed shift gate. So I'm back where I started
the porsche 915/g50 wont fit because of the suspension and frame.

What do you think about the mendeola MD-5?
It's rated for massive power, it's about $12k to drop a mendeola in
the car as it stands now. with axles and everything.
which is about $4k over budget. I can afford it, but I wasn't planning on it.
I'd rather put the extra cash in something else if I can make the 016 work reliably for years.

Last edited:
We have a brand new 01E 5 speed transaxle available....it came form Audi as a special build....built to take higher HP.

Call RCR if interested...we also have 6 speed units available

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Still having a hard time understanding just how strong you can make a gearbox whose sum total of parts inside could easily be smuggled across a border in your pockets masquerading as loose change and long pencils....

If expense is not an issue - look for a gearbox that was manufactured for the work you intend it to do... Any gearbox is only as strong as its weakest link...

thanks FRAN HALL, I'll ask my mechanic about it, that sounds perfect
I might be able to get by with minor mods. Since the audi 01e is so much cheaper than my other options,
I can put that cash into modifying the frame and rear suspension, axles, trans mounts, etc if needed. I have an excellent chassis engineer as a resource.
Big Head Motorsports
is just around the corner from me.

I understand the 01e is slightly offset towards passenger side,
so I need new mounts and axles, but whatever.
I also understand the ugly shift pattern of the 01e can be changed to match the 016?
how is this done? http://www.litegrip.com/shiftpatterns/5speed.jpg

Eric A., You mentioned a transmissions shift pattern can be changed?
is this something you perform at the transmission shifter,
or fabricating a new stick shifter box in the car

how do i change a shift pattern from

R 1 3 5 __to__ R 2 4
__2 4________1 3 5

I had no idea something like that was possible
I dont know much about transmissions and such.
thanks so much

are you sure the shift pattern can be changed.
I just spoke with California motorsports and he said changing the shift pattern is impossible.

Eric A, if it can be changed, please explain it to me and I'll have my mechanic look into it.
swapping into a 01e saves me a sh!tload of work and money.

I hope I can do it and keep the
R 2 4
1 3 5
pattern.

Edward

The shift pattern can be changed through the gearlinkages and also the gearlever pivot point ,this allows you to flip the pattern over but not change the layout.

But looking at your request ,No you cant change that, it is an internal design issue.
Why would it matter where 1st gear was anyway.

Put a 6 speed in ,forget the 5 speed, you are going the 5 speed route because it will be the least amount of work.
The 6 speed is the same frame maybe longer but not much.

Jim

Last edited:
I didn't really make that statement very clear. I was not refering to actually changing the location of the gears in the pattern but rather to adjusting the linkage so that your 5-speed shifter would work with a 6-speed. I have since learned that you have a 5-speed gate on the car and want to retain that.

I guess I'm stuck with the Audi 016 then.
nothing else will fit or work without redesign of the chassis.
or the shift-gate

it looks like this

I still might just redesign the shift-gate to this,

looks like I've run out of options. I will most likely put in a 6 speed 01e at this point
It's less authentic for the year of the vehicle replicated but whatever.
At least it will work. The 5 speed 01e shift pattern just looks wrong.
but the 6 speed looks normal since is was normal, just not for the year of the car.

Better than being paranoid all the time about my transmission breaking
when i drive like an a$$

Last edited:
lol, okay i was drunk when I posted that last comment.

what i was probably was attempting to say is,

I can use the 01E 6 speed since there was a Diablo with a 6 speed.
so it wont look stupid. and it's the same audi 01E pattern.

Now that I just now realized this fact, I'm interested in a 6 speed.

What do you think of this model, AA.com 01E FWD transmission?
Is it a good choice for a lexus V8?

No idea what those options are but they are available:
Differential Gear Oil Pump $800
front diff torsion $795
Output Flanges: 108mm $150

all for $4400

http://www.advancedautomotion.com/p...id=29&osCsid=5efac14cefb28eb68b4a2bfdc431ab14

Oh the woes of component matching. It's a rollercoaster ride

Last edited:
this is why i should be be able to edit old posts.

the freaking 6 speed in on the lamborghini murcielago!

the photo i found was mislabeled, son of a b!tch ol well

Most internal parts in the 016 are not available, so in the event you have to fix it your out of luck if you ever need to source replacement parts.

The shift pattern for the 016/01E is the same except for reverse as it was installed in the factory vehicles.

1 3 5
|-|-|
2 4 R

01E

R 1 3 5
|-|-|-|
0 2 4 6 (if a 6 speed) (I had to use zero as HTML won't allow the leading spaces.

Also I would not buy an 01E transmission (new or used) unless you can check the pinion preload, as many of the transmissions had improperly set preloads which destroyed the pinion bearing.

Edward,

1. You can put the LSD from a 944 box into your 016. I just recently did this to my 016 and it goes right in. Takes a bit of time however as you have to separate the gear housing from the bell housing to replace the diff, and then re-set the lateral clearances on the (new LSD) diff. May as well replace the bearings and seals too while you're at it, and there goes another day of working with it all. The LDS diff will help with the issue of blowing up the spider gears.
2. Install a strengthening plate kit. There are a few different ones out there and it's pretty painless. You do need to have the rear cover machined a bit which can be a pain.
3. Use good gear oil - Redline is great.
4. Don't do drop clutch burn outs.
5. Make sure all the bolts on your 016 are 12.9 bolts.

Just a few ideas.

Back