Audi 01E input shaft leak

Anyone have any ideas why my 01E transmission would leak at the front of the trans? The trans has just been rebuilt by Scotty and so the seal should be OK. The trans id tipped slightly down in front, maybe 4 degrees. There is nothing coming out the breather, so I don't think it's overfilled.

When the trans was assembled if the seal is installed before assembly you run the risk of rolling the seal when the input shaft is past through it.
I made this error, I assemble the box then put the seal in.

Jim

NEVER assume something is good just because it's new or been recently repaired / replaced. New parts can be defective and even the best mechanics in the world make mistakes.

If the input shaft seal is leaking there's only one thing to do....take the transaxle out. If you run it with a leak it'll foul the clutch/pp and then you'll have to replace/resurface as well.

The seal isn't anything special, just a standard rubber lip seal with a coil spring behind it to locate the lip more positively around the shaft. I believe the audi part number is 016 311 113 B.

That's a drag. The output shaft seals can be easily replace with the transaxle in place. Not so the input seal....

Back