Audi 01E Part numbers (clutch hose and slave cylinder)

S

svsgt1

Hey guys just for your info I have two part numbers that took me a while to dig up for the Audi 01E.

Slave Cylinder = 8E0-721-257-B ($65 on ebay new)
Clutch Hose = 8E1-721-465-J ($71 at Auto Parts Nation Wide --)

These items have a very strange quick disconnect connector and I have not found an alternative when using this slave cylinder. If you guys have any input on this please let me know. I'm pretty sure that the hose will have to be cut and then made with a "normal" end to fit into my aftermarket master cylinder.

svsgt1,

It is for this very reason that I opted for a different version slave cylinder so that I could employ the use of an AN fitting. The Audi slave P/N 4A0721261 will fit the 01E. See my thread here: http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-tech-powertrain-transaxles/21993-audi-slave-cylinder-fitting.html

The slave is $40 to $60 depending on the source, and the Goodridge adapter fitting is $6 or $8. Now you can easily adapt to an aftermarket master.

The photo below shows this slave mounted to an 01E.

Hope this helps,

Andy

Attachments

• Trans Linkage1.jpg
    Trans Linkage1.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 3,066
Here is a picture of what I am using. If you need any dimensions or more pictures I will be happy to get them for you. This system acts like a shift fork to move the shift shaft in and out and provides axial force to the shaft so there is no binding or friction.

Steve

Attachments

• GT40 pictures 63007 019.jpg
    GT40 pictures 63007 019.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 1,297
Steve,

I purposely stayed away from that type of system as I believe it has a couple of inherent disadvantages (from the perspective of a truely anal engineering type). This is not a criticism of your system as many have chosen this same configuration. It's only one man's opinion.

I personally dislike anything that slides against a mating surface that is exposed to the elements with potential to trap debris. If your system is a fork type arrangement (for the gate), then it likely has point contact (unless otherwise configured) with the mating surfaces which are subject to rapid wear. The combination of "un-protected", and "point contact" leaves it vulnerable, IMHO.

If you look for example at the Porsche Boxster cable shift linkage (it also uses a bellcrank), you will see that the linkage is positively coupled and there are no sliding areas that are subject to wear, thus retaining a nice positive feel. It is my opinion that this type of design has distinct advantages, so I modeled mine in a similar fashion.

Thanks again for sharing your photo. Nice car!

Andy

No problem, just another idea. The "wear" surfaces are thrust bearings and can be replaced in ten minutes or less. There is a coller around the shift shaft that is engaged with the shift fork so there are no ware points. These pictures might be better. The great thing about a kit car is that you can build it any way you want. Take care,

Steve

Attachments

• GT40 pictures 63007 009shifter.jpg
    GT40 pictures 63007 009shifter.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 1,115
  • GT40 pictures 63007 001shifter.jpg
    GT40 pictures 63007 001shifter.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 944
Last edited:
While this thread has been hijacked a bit with Audi shift mechanisms I thought I would post a few pics of mine just for info.

It is an Audi 4.2l ABZ V8 and 01X gearbox fitted into an 1981 S3 Lotus Esprit.

I guess it works in a similar way to Steve's except it uses rose joints and sealed bearings throughout so no wear surfaces.
IMG_0509750x562.jpg

Here it is from another angle after it had been anodised.
IMG_0801750x562.jpg

As for mating to the Slave cylinder fitting, I just turned up alloy tube to replicate the snap in fitting and then used a compression joint to hook up to the rest of the system.
IMG_0876750x562.jpg

A bit off beat, but if anyone is interested here is a link to a full thead on the conversion.

motorgeek.com :: View topic - 4.2 V8 ABZ conversion of Lotus Esprit

Hilly

Hilly,
Welcome. I have been following your thread with interest on the other forum, as I have an 01X as well. I am based over in Essex, and would be intrested to see the other end of your gearshift meachinsm, as I still need one!! Where are you based? Thanks

Brett

I am based in Shepperton (think film studios) just outside Heathrow.

I used the Lotus original gear level assembly, this is the best photo I have got of it.
interior01.jpg

The lotus system uses a solid rod for forward/back motion and a cable for cross gate, there is no reason why my linkage would not work with twin cables.

Hilly

Back