Audi 01E Technical Info

I have a very extensive Audi 01E web page, showing ratios, trans model codes and OEM installations, weak areas, and more. This info is mostly related to the Quattro 4WD version of the gearbox:

Audi 01E Quattro Transmission

I am not interested in email questions, mainly because I probably don't know. I do not have a GT40. I have several turbo'd vehicles.

I sometimes get questions about fitting an Audi 01E for mid engine use, and I generally think that it is not strong enough to be durable. I *would* like a URL or email address to pass along to help people with these questions.

I also have an extensive web page about fuel octane improvement using Toluene - since most of my viewers are running turbo engines:

Toluene - Octane Booster FAQ

Cheers,

Charlie Smith
Columbus, Ohio USA

The v8 944 guys use the 016 very often without too much trouble. The AUDI version of the 016 is very similar. The transaxle of choise is the 083 which began with the 944 turbo and continued through the end of the 944 production.
The 083 has a larger ring gear with slightly wider teeth and a larger front pinion bearing mostly because of the 3.375 ratio making the pinion gear larger in diameter. (7.4875 vs 7.1875 for the 016) Third gear also is wider.
The O1E has all of these updates but also had the diff cover moved to the other side of the case. This now places the thrust from the diff against the cover instead of the case like in the 016/083. I don't understand why they did this except that it would make setting up the ring and pinion easier.
So the O1E is stronger than the 016 with the exception of first gear on the early O1E's like you show on your website.

Pete

Charlie & Pete,

I am learning as much as I can about these Audi transaxles so I can select the correct one for my Magnum GT. My perference is a 6 speedrockonsmile, but they are hard to find.
When you talk about the S-cars, which ones are they? The US 2000 and later 6 speed gearboxes are also the 01E type, which Audi model has this transaxle?
Last week I located a Audi 5000 Turbo 5 speed, would that hold up to a stock 1968 302?
Thanks
Joz

Charlie,
I have a different version called a 01X. It will be going behind my small block hopefully in the summer next year. If you search on this board, a guy called Hilly (Andy) has used this box beind a Audi 4.2 V8 for a ceonversion he did to a Lotus with great effect.

Brett

Andy,
By "Beefed-up" it has upgraded rear main bearings, altered spigot shaft and altered clutch fork.
Larry

Attachments

• link.jpg
    link.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 448
Charlie & Pete,

I am learning as much as I can about these Audi transaxles so I can select the correct one for my Magnum GT. My perference is a 6 speedrockonsmile, but they are hard to find.
When you talk about the S-cars, which ones are they? The US 2000 and later 6 speed gearboxes are also the 01E type, which Audi model has this transaxle?
Last week I located a Audi 5000 Turbo 5 speed, would that hold up to a stock 1968 302?
Thanks
Joz
Hi Joz, Its Mike Malcewicz, the Audi 5 speed your talking about I don't think can handle the torque produced from Ford 302. Those box's were designed for four and 5 cylinder cars. They can be made stronger, but I would speak to a person that specializes in rebuilding those transaxles and see if anything can be done to strengthen them. I would suggest, if you can, to buy a Audi 6 speed from a later model Audi that had a 4.2 liter V8 in it and those engines produced 400 hp and 400 ft.lbs of torque, so those manual transaxles can handle a fairly torquey motor. The transaxles that had the 01E prefix are popular, but you have to be careful, as they are different types for the type of engine they support. I am in the process of securing a Audi Transaxle as well for my Kelmark. Good Luck. MikeM

Hello,

I see that as you guys mention there are various 01E gearboxes, the one that should hold the highest torque is the one from an audi V6 2.5 TDI ? That is what I have red some were on the web as I see many references for the 01E.
Any one know which one is correct? Currently running a 01E 301 211 C gear box with bell 01E 301 103 K-L model DQS.

I think this is the 01E to assemble on HP cars.

Back