Audi 01X transmission

Adam,

I suspect the reason failures may possibly occur on 01E Quattro (AWD) converted (to FWD) transaxles is that they use a hollow output shaft, as opposed to the solid output (pinion) shaft used on the FWD (non Quattro) transaxles. On the Quattro, the pinion shaft passes through the hollow ouput shaft and both are coupled to the Thorsen. Torque is distributed to the front and rear differentials from the output shaft via the Thorsen. That said, I'm inclinded to believe that the weak link is the differential but I have no direct experience with any failures.

Andy

Based upon the data points in this thread so far it appears that:

1. The 01X box is a two wheel drive box from a modern front wheel drive Audi,
2. The 01E is a quattro based Audi box and likely not a good candidate for a GT40 due to the need to convert to 2WD and potentially weaker internals,
3. It is still unclear whether the 01X has the same adapter plate pattern as the much more common 016,
4. It is still unclear whether the 01X is from a gas or diesel Audi (or both) and what ratios/codes are the most desirable for a SBF application.

Any help on clarifying 3 or 4 above would be much appreciated!

I also read that the 01X is sort of difficult to get here in the states. I read that the more powerful engines here (4.2L v8 and TDI) are all QUATTRO in the US. Is there any validity to this? Does anyone know a good source for 01X transmissions?

Last edited:
Hi Damon, I suspect you're right - likely we have more quattros here than front wheel drive only. One thought however, I think the 01X came in the TDI Passat sold here in the US and many of these are front wheel drive only. I'm just guessing at this frankly - will do some further research and try to determine if this is the case.

3. It is still unclear whether the 01X has the same adapter plate pattern as the much more common 016,
4. It is still unclear whether the 01X is from a gas or diesel Audi (or both) and what ratios/codes are the most desirable for a SBF application.

Any help on clarifying 3 or 4 above would be much appreciated!

Hi Cliff,
In response...

3. You can use the same adaptor as the 016 for an 01X. There is only one slight mislaignment with one of the holes, but you have 5-6 to bolt on to. I used the Kennedy plate. However, you will require a different drive plate with quite a large off-set (see my build thread). I had mine made by a company called Helix here in the UK. The other thing you will need to do is make up a new spigot bearing adaptor... or I also beleive that Fran now can source you a 01X specific plate.

I am still prvong mine oout, but due to house building work I have not touched my car for over 4 months :thumbsdown:

4. The 01X comes from both Petrol and Diesel cars. I have an FYA code box, which comes from the diesel and the ratios work out quite nicely... see earlier in the thread.

Brett

Hi Brett,

Thank you, that's very helpful. I'll be keeping my eyes out for an 01X, particularly with the same FYA coding. And, I'll go back and look over your build threat as you suggest. Thanks Brett!

Hi Brett,

Thank you, that's very helpful. I'll be keeping my eyes out for an 01X, particularly with the same FYA coding. And, I'll go back and look over your build threat as you suggest. Thanks Brett!
Cliff Beer,

This might be a little early, but have you found any diesel TDI's with the 01X here in the states?

Joz

The AWD's are pretty much useless. You can weld everything up and go break stuff, fun for a bit; but there are more important things like paying the tire bills and buying more tools. The 01X case is the one your after in FWD format, and they can be purchased in the states.

They do make a good low torque option driveline, and can perform appropriately in street designed cars.

The AWD's are pretty much useless. You can weld everything up and go break stuff, fun for a bit; but there are more important things like paying the tire bills and buying more tools. The 01X case is the one your after in FWD format, and they can be purchased in the states.

They do make a good low torque option driveline, and can perform appropriately in street designed cars.

Can you please elaborate on the "AWD's are pretty much useless" bit? I have an Audi V8q 5-speed I was going to use for my project, am I better off doing without it?

I think what Valkyrie is saying is that when you convert a quattro box to 2wd, it is more prone to failure. When Audi/Getrag (I think) designed the box, they sized the front wheel drive components such that they would only really ever see half as much torque, since the balance would be going to anoth final drive in the rear. I box that was designed for 2wd from the outset will have stronger front components since it was always expected that all the torque would go through the front. Hope this helps. 69valkyrie, please correct me if I missed the intent of your statement.

Joz, I haven't searched in detail yet, however, there is a german part recycler in Seattle here that has a pile of audi transaxles so I'll have to go down through there and do some visual inspections/comparisons. Will report back soon.

Hi Guys , I have an 016 in 2wd, and a quattro version the gears etc look similar inside, except the output of the gears is carried down to the pinion through the hollow shaft from the centre diff, i have the manual for the quattro box but it really does't cover where to start to take it all apart, anyone had one apart, or know how to remove the centre diff section, it does not have the large nut behind the rubber plug as in the 2wd version.

Regards
Lambo

Correct, the 4wd's are undersized in area's and would take a bit of modification to make stronger. To make most of the Audi 4wd's 2wd the hollow pinion that houses the drive prop for the output flange to the rear diff would need to be welded or replaced with a 2wd setup. We have taken a couple of these apart to gauge their strength and design and just have not been impressed. I can supply New or Remand' 2wd's for a good price, so it just really wasn't worth the brain strain if you know what I mean. Sometimes going with a proven system is worth the price, you could easily spend thousands of dollars in R&D and breaking things before you get some system that works OK. Versus just going with a 2wd off the bat and spending the money to not worry about it.

Dogger,

I took a look that web site, they aint cheap and then the shipment cost I guess would be up there too.
I have been to several sites looking for a diesel 01X box. Which Audi is the deisel i.e. Audi S?, A?, 80 series, etc. none of them show the deisel on their sites.

Joz

Hi Guys , I have an 016 in 2wd, and a quattro version the gears etc look similar inside, except the output of the gears is carried down to the pinion through the hollow shaft from the centre diff, i have the manual for the quattro box but it really does't cover where to start to take it all apart, anyone had one apart, or know how to remove the centre diff section, it does not have the large nut behind the rubber plug as in the 2wd version.

Regards
Lambo

To disassemble a quattro 016 isn't all that difficult. Flip the unit up onto the bell side on some blocks and remove the 6 allen bolts that secure the tail stock drive to the 5th gear housing. Extract the rear diff by tapping up on the drive flange lightly...it should slide right out. Next, remove the shift linkage assembly........... shift rod cover(3 10mm bolts), and shift rod snap ring(watch out for spring pressure!!), Remove 2 coils springs and retainer as well as the backing shim, remove 10mm shift arm bolt and shift arm from the shift rod. Extract the 17mm detent spring for shift arm assembly(same one the fixed shifter rod attaches to). Push shift rod out of case from shift arm side. Remove 13mm gear housing perimeter bolts from case and separate gear housing from diff housing section. Place input drive shaft in proper holding fixture in a vise and secure really good. Next, remove the 17mm plug cap from the back of the 5th gear housing and insert a 10mm HZN(male triple square) socket tool into the hole and remove the mainshaft securing fastener. Note....that fastener will stay with the 5th gear housing as you separate the housing from the gear section as it's incased between the 5th gear housing and rear mainshaft support bearing.

Gearbox disassembly is just as any typical 016 from her on out. Assembly is reverse.

Adam,

I suspect the reason failures may possibly occur on 01E Quattro (AWD) converted (to FWD) transaxles is that they use a hollow output shaft, as opposed to the solid output (pinion) shaft used on the FWD (non Quattro) transaxles. On the Quattro, the pinion shaft passes through the hollow ouput shaft and both are coupled to the Thorsen. Torque is distributed to the front and rear differentials from the output shaft via the Thorsen. That said, I'm inclinded to believe that the weak link is the differential but I have no direct experience with any failures.

Andy

The center differential is actually a pretty beefy unit in itself, but you're correct about the hollow pinion shaft being a weak point.

Welding the diff up is just a bad idea. Years ago there was a company that used to make a slip coupler that bypassed the center diff for rally guys looking to run FWD only in certain classes with the Audi's. Kit comprised of the coupler that locked the pinion shaft to the driven gear shaft(rod in the diff carrier bearing, a coupler tensioner plate and spring that replaced the center diff ouput flange, and a gasket. You could literally change it on the car by simply dropping the driveshaft and popping out the six center diff bolts.

Hi Adam, Thanks for the 016 Quattro procedure above that will help a lot.
I now have a project for the cold winter nights,many thanks.

Best Regards
Lambo

Back