Audi V8 and 01E

Hi all,

Yep, I know it's not a 40 - i've got a Pantera. I'm looking at putting the Audi 4.2 and 01E into the back of it - but the only ones I can find are autos.

My question is this: What flywheel and clutch would be best to use?

Cheers

Phil

If you are in the US, you're not likely to find any 01E front drive transaxles (with attached motor). They only imported Audi's withthe model 012 5 speed transaxles.

Andy

What flywheel to use depends on which Audi V8 you get.

The earler 32 valve engines use a 10 bolt flywheel, the later 40 valvers an 8.

Try looking here for a 10 bolt flywheels
034 MOTORSPORT

For the later 8 bolt flywheel, I think the one off a S4 2.7 V6 bi-turbo will fit.

Hilly

Thanks so far guys - responses in no particular order:-

I'm in the UK. Getting hold of 01E's is no problem - i'll probably be going for the A6 2.5 D 6 speed.

If I had a 351 and ZF i'd be using them.

Engine is a 32 valve - I don't especially want to be fitting bespoke flywheels unless I have to. I'm sure there must be an audi part that will bolt straight on?? I think in the past I have heard of a 2wd v8 that was produced, but can't remember any details.

I've probably goofed out but can't find anything under webcat3 - can anyone send me a proper link?

Thanks

Phil

My information shows a 6 speed 01E Quattro was available with the 4.2ltr. V8. At first glance, I do not see a listing for a front drive only 01E gearbox on the 4.2ltr. A8, however the bellhousing's are the same. There ought to be a number of Audi performace shops on your side of the pond that could assist you with fit-up issues. AFAIK, Audi employed the use of various thicknesses of sandwich plates between the motor and gearbox bellhousing for specific motor/gearbox combinations, so some attention to that may be necessary. Given the correct sandwich plate, I suspect the standard 4.2ltr. clutch and flywheel assembly should fit the front drive 01E gearbox. If you wish to not use the dual mass flywheel, those Audi performance shops ought to have a source for some performance flywheels (probably aluminum). Good luck.

Andy

For now, I just want to get the thing running. Big power will come later. So here’s the deal so far:

Currently, engine is ’92 Audi 4.2 32v with 10 bolt flywheel. I need the fly and clutch from a similar year manual quattro, the ‘01E box of my choice, maybe a spacer plate, and some driveshaft adapters. Sounds easy enough!

Will the 3.7 v8 fly fit?

BTW, What’s the deal with these dual mass flywheels? Are they a bit dodgy or something?

Phil

Phil

You can use a flywheel from a manual 4.2, but they are very rare in the UK as Audi did not import any. You may find one in Europe, but due the the rarity, they are expensive.

The reason the 10 bolt alloy flywheels are expensive is because the Audi ecu uses the ring gear to measure crank position (along with a second pin). Due to this, the number of teeth on the ring gear is different to the 5 cylinder engines and since only V8s has a 10 bolt crank when they made the alloy flywheel they had to use expensive OEM ring gears.

All UK A8s were auto, so finding an 3.7 A8 won't be much help.
The 3.7 A8 was 2wd, but auto only.

A A6 TDi box will certainly bolt up to a 32v Audi V8 (I know because I have done it) and if you get the 034 Motorsport flywheel then a 2.5TDi clutch will fit. Make sure you get one which is NOT intended for a dual mass flywheel because it won't have the damper springs on the friction plate. Also be careful going too made with the spacer plates as the starter moter won't engage with the ring gear.

Hilly

Hello,

Sorry for digging up old topic.

I am going for the same combination Audi ABZ V8 4,2 Liter engine + audi 01e DQS 6-speed transmission from Audi A6 2,5 TDI.

Has anyone here successfully pulled off a combo like this?

What clutch and flywheel should I look for ?

I would apprecite any help.

Thank you.

Kind regards
Marcin

Phil, why not do something simple like put in a SBF and a Audi 01e or 016? Just get the adapter plate and misc clutch bits and you're in business. Easier install than the audi engine, and you're half way there to original when you're done. Just a thought.

It was 8 years since Phil was looking at this, so hopefully he's got it sorted by now!

I've got an Audi V8 and O1E, and have a flywheel from these guys... TTV Racing. The flywheel is designed to take the Audi S4 B5 clutch without the gearbox spacer

Mine is an ABZ too (10 bolt). There's a photo on post 111 here.

If you email TTV with what you need, they should be able to sort you out and make sure everything fits

Good luck!

Back