Auto box on GT 40?

Hi Fred

Thanks, yes my thoughts as well. I found a 010 box that came from a Audi 500e Turbo and will be going to have a look at the box. I trust it will bolt on but happy to adapt. The only problem is the torque of the motor (Ford 302) and the strenght of the box. The end ratio of 3.7 is similar to the 016 which is 3.9 AND no complicated electronic as with the newer generation A6/8 boxes.

However, found a company, Spitronics, in Pretoria that maintains they can solve the electric's

Regards
Heinrich

We don't need to get complicated guys, the 5 cylinder Audi 500E sold in SA (and elsewhere) in the 80's that used the 016 originally were mostly supplied with an auto box. I would guess that one of those would bolt straight in.

Hi Heinrich, nice to see another SA on here.

Cheers

Fred W B

Hi Fred. Thanks for the info and logics on Audi 500e Turbo Auto box. Scourced a box and busy with service but to my dissapointment found out that the transaxle is 3.727 which is OK, but the final drive - 3rd - as is s speed box, is 1:1 and thus will be doing some 3500 rpm to do 120 kmp or 75mph which is just to high for a V8 in my opinion.

So back to manual until someone out there finds a good solution.

marc

Lifetime Supporter
Have you considered instead of flipping the porsche box, configure the motor to run the opposite direction? It should be just a custom cam and a retimed starter, right guys?

Having used hand controls for thirty years, I'll offer this-
with most all systems these days, a horizontal lever sticks out from a control rod that parallels the steering column and you rotate it by pushing down on the lever to accelerate and push it forward to brake. Unless you're using cruise control, your left (or right if you've installed in on that side) hand is always on the lever, your right, on the wheel. There are differences with some portable controls, but they're minor.

I've never seen it done, but it would be simple to set up the knob on the end of the lever to rotate, like a motorcycle. That would give you a third proportional control beside the throttle and brake to use for the clutch. Add a thumb switch to electrically up/down shift and you'd have what you need. Using one hand for braking, throtle, clutch and shifting would take some practice, but you really do need to keep one hand totally free and on the wheel for safety.

Audi did offer a 3 speed non electronic auto transmission that shares a bolt pattern with the 016, however this transmission has often failed behind the audi engines that put out at most 200 ft/lbs of torque so it will not be suited for any appreciable amount of power. It is also a 3 speed. Any used unit will also likely need to be overhauled as the clutch plates laminate after 10 years.

Using an AWD box and disabling the rear output portion is improbable, it would cost more to do so than to just buy a 2WD transmission.

Audi/Porsche do offer a FWD version of ZF's tiptronic gearbox (5HP19) and some FWD (5HP24) however these are all electronic, and they won't work without the corresponding transmission controller, and the corresponding engine and ECM. So to use one of those you'd have to come up with some sort of controller, which won't be an easy task. There are also the newer 6HP19 but they are also electronic.

There are a few companies that offer auto shifters for manual transmission cars that control shifting and clutch operation via paddle shifters, those might be worth a look to adapt to a manual gearbox you already have.

This guy up the road from me is building a Fiberfab car , with a N* engine , and late model 'Vette auto/axle . rear wheels are hanging out the back . So body will be stretched .
That tranny is very long .
I had thought about a Subaru trans , and found a shop in NJ I think , who works them over real well . Might work for a cruiser .

toy246 the clutch can be added to hand controls the same as I did on a HD trike
. I used a hydraulic handle bar clutch lever on a suicide shifter . this with push-button or paddle shift ......

Audi did offer a 3 speed non electronic auto transmission that shares a bolt pattern with the 016, however this transmission has often failed behind the audi engines that put out at most 200 ft/lbs of torque so it will not be suited for any appreciable amount of power. It is also a 3 speed. Any used unit will also likely need to be overhauled as the clutch plates laminate after 10 years.

Using an AWD box and disabling the rear output portion is improbable, it would cost more to do so than to just buy a 2WD transmission.

Audi/Porsche do offer a FWD version of ZF's tiptronic gearbox (5HP19) and some FWD (5HP24) however these are all electronic, and they won't work without the corresponding transmission controller, and the corresponding engine and ECM. So to use one of those you'd have to come up with some sort of controller, which won't be an easy task. There are also the newer 6HP19 but they are also electronic.

There are a few companies that offer auto shifters for manual transmission cars that control shifting and clutch operation via paddle shifters, those might be worth a look to adapt to a manual gearbox you already have.

Ive long thought about this as an option - using the automatic transmission with paddle shifting. From what I can gather, the transmission controller is nothing more than a fancy interface from the paddles to the shift solenoids. There are of course speed and engine load inputs etc to this controller but the basic idea is, that all it does is operate the solenoids. When I get some time I will do some experimenting with this. I would think for the application of a steet/track car we are not bothered about shift algarithms engine loading and speed. We as drivers will do that in our own heads and change as required. I would think it would be either operated directly to the solenoids via an electronic up/down interface or via something a little more complex with engine rev control - eg so you cant change down past a certain gear when over a certain speed. Can be done either with some discrete components or a bit of programming into a microchip PIC processor. So I dont think that people should be scared away from the Auto trans idea because of a computer. Afterall, there are no real electronics camped in the transmission - just plates, bands, pump and solenoids.

Back