Autonomous Racing Cars - Will Goodwood ever be the same?

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Exciting, but concerning never the less.....
https://www.theverge.com/transporta...od-festival-of-speed-roborace-siemens-mustang

B3F98562-F90F-4025-87A1-BEE9A8A3D91A.jpeg
4957B939-BD17-49C1-8292-956A02DA2EED.jpeg

Google pulled the self driving cars off the public streets for a reason (hint: accidents started happening). Somehow the missing element of human observation/intuition/reaction was a factor no doubt.

I was at a trade conference recently and a guy was giving a presentation and indicating we would all be riding in self driving cars by 2040. I certainly hope not.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I didn’t know that Google had any that they pulled from the streets.
I live in AZ half the year and Uber had a fatality in Tempe (about 40 miles from me).. Waymo Autonomous (Google as I recall) was still operating, but Uber Autonomous cars were all pulled from the roads there.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Great. We'll be able to watch COMPUTERS race each other. How thrilling. How exciting. How mesmerizing.
Pit stops should be even more so. And, as dull as the current post-race winning driver interviews are now, can you imaging the post-race interviews with winning computers?

Not.

Do you suppose 'Pace Computers' will replace today's Pace CARS...or will the cars just pace themselves? Will a computer 'master of ceremonies' (AKA: robot) be presiding over each of the various racing organization's end-of-year championship ceremonies?

Where will it all end?

(Call me Capt. Buzz Kill)

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
.....and the winner taking a Victory lap complete with a burn-out in front of the grand stands - all the while playing its country’s national anthem!

Charlie Farley

Supporter
PLEASE do not take the following as an invite to Thread Drift, Drifting Thread or any other concoction of hanging one's arse out.. to put it politely.
Here in the UK we had an uncharacteristically cold winter. Just imagine how much colder it would have been, if all cars were electric. No V8's to warm up the planet...

Howard Jones

Supporter
The problem I have with driverless cars is the potential for terrorist use. No more need to talk someone into being a suicide car bomber. All you need it a laptop soon to be replaced with a cell phone.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
The problem I have with driverless cars is the potential for terrorist use. No more need to talk someone into being a suicide car bomber. All you need it a laptop soon to be replaced with a cell phone.

What about today's r/c, multi-rotor drones? They're already a clear threat in the "terrorist threat" department.

It's already been demonstrated that it's possible to hijack today's computer-controlled cars...or 'hacker-jack, I guess one would have to say. I'm surprised terrorists haven't as yet employed that tactic to cause multi-car, high speed pileups on freeways and/or what have you.

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
I foresee an even darker future when industry pressure (read lobbying/contributions/political pressure) pushes legislation to the point where human controlled vehicles will incur substantial insurance increases, with governmental requirements that would criminalize the reduction/removal of automated control functions.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I foresee an even darker future when industry pressure (read lobbying/contributions/political pressure) pushes legislation to the point where human controlled vehicles will incur substantial insurance increases, with governmental requirements that would criminalize the reduction/removal of automated control functions.

You may have seen the film “The Last Chase” starring Lee Majors and Burgess Merideth...
good flick, but scary that it could, indeed, come true!
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt008264...NoYXNlfG14PTIwfGxtPTUwMHxodG1sPTE_&fc=1&ft=20
323B4649-0310-4C6E-A0B2-76FAC08ABDF0.jpeg

Neil

Supporter
Vasek Pollack's Can-Am Porsches never looked like that! You'd think the builder of this "replica" could have matched the wheels in their wheel arches better than this!

Back