Autonomous Racing Cars - Will Goodwood ever be the same?

Google pulled the self driving cars off the public streets for a reason (hint: accidents started happening). Somehow the missing element of human observation/intuition/reaction was a factor no doubt.

I was at a trade conference recently and a guy was giving a presentation and indicating we would all be riding in self driving cars by 2040. I certainly hope not.

Randy V

Administrator
I didn’t know that Google had any that they pulled from the streets.
I live in AZ half the year and Uber had a fatality in Tempe (about 40 miles from me).. Waymo Autonomous (Google as I recall) was still operating, but Uber Autonomous cars were all pulled from the roads there.

Larry L.

Lifetime Premier Supporter
Great. We'll be able to watch COMPUTERS race each other. How thrilling. How exciting. How mesmerizing.
Pit stops should be even more so. And, as dull as the current post-race winning driver interviews are now, can you imaging the post-race interviews with winning computers?

Not.

Do you suppose 'Pace Computers' will replace today's Pace CARS...or will the cars just pace themselves? Will a computer 'master of ceremonies' (AKA: robot) be presiding over each of the various racing organization's end-of-year championship ceremonies?

Where will it all end?

(Call me Capt. Buzz Kill)

Randy V

Administrator
.....and the winner taking a Victory lap complete with a burn-out in front of the grand stands - all the while playing its country’s national anthem!