Betty's first real date.

Howard Jones

Supporter
Betty\'s first real date.

Well I finally did it. I took my GT40 out on the track for real. Where do I start? OK The Northern Calif Shelby Club hosted a track weekend at Thunderhill Park near Willows Calif. This track is long, 3 miles around, and generally fast. The real racecars get over 160 on the straights I would guess. This is about 3 hours north of The San Francisco Bay Area.

My Mentor Bud Jones hauled me up on his trailer and stood in as my Yota for the day. I can't tell you all how nice a man Bud is Thank you again and again Bud!

So how did it go? Well the first thing I learned is it's been a LONG time since I have been on a race track. I rode road race bikes back in the 70's and.... well... lets just say that I was younger then.

Anyway the first thing I learned is no matter how hard you drive on the street any information you think you might gain on setup is useless, period!

1st session. Cars brake ballance is VERY BAD! Locks rears at any brakerate aproaching anything like race speeds. One of the turns on this track is a downhill left with a max speed of about 30MPH or so. The entry is uphill and as you crest the rise the road falls off down to the left. The entry speed is about 60MPH. If you don't get ALL of your brakeing done before you try to turn in, the front of the car crests the top of the hill, then the front tires loose about 50% of their grip and guess what, you continue straight as an arrow. With a oversteering car, more on that later, and brakes biased to the rear... you can imagine the result. Yes Betty was in the dirt on the third lap. She is no longer a virgin! No dammage. This took a while to get sorted out and by the time I got done looking over the car the session was over.

I have a porportioning valve in the rears so it was easy to make adjustments to the rear brake pressure. Took 4 turns out of the rears. Checked tire pressure. The tires had cooled off so we didn't get any data other than they still had 26F 28R in them.

Second session. Brakes much better. Now cars does not want to steer from the rear on the brakes but still is a little too biased to the rear. Power oversteer but not really bad. Goes netural as front settles after 2rd to 3th gear change out of slow corners.

Began to take the 3 slowest corners in third gear instead of 2nd as I learned the course. This seamed to help the oversteer some but it's still there. Using only 3rd and 4th all the way around now but only getting close to full power at three places on track, The three straights. Still haven't really found the grip limmits anywhere except under brakeing into the 2 slowest corners. Getting about 4800 in 4th at the end of front straight. Then downshift to 3rd thur LH turn 1, power in third, hard brakeing to entry LH turn 2. Elsewhere, after the slow down hill turn, where I went off, the track leads onto a section of track that has three turns at ever increasing speeds. Taking last one after braking hard down to 3rd, thru it @ 4000 revs. End session 2

Took two more turns out of rear brakes, adjusted rear roll bar to less effectiveness. Checked tire pressures F's 28 R's 30 even side to side.

Session three. Brakes now good. Full braking now possible. Oversteer gone everywhere. Car much faster everywhere. Going thru turn 1 in 4th now, brake harder now on entry, longer on power down straight 3500 revs in 4th thur 1, Full power out, HARD brakes into 2. Stops straight!!!!

Fucked up the downhill thing again! Black flaged. Told very nicely not to go off again! I should say at this point that the NORCAL Shelby club guys are kind and VERY helpful. A couple of them took their time to help me with the line around the track and generally understanding that I had a new car and new driver, ME!
End of session three.

I would like to try to get the car thur the last of the fast LH turns at the back of the track in 4th but am still afraid of loosing the rear at 100mph or so. Would like some minor push there so I can feel the limmit coming on and be able to settle the front of the car with less power and still keep the rear stable.

Adjusted shock setting on front up three clicks, both sides.

4th session. Car feels good everywhere. STAY ON COURSE!! Getting rev limmit in 3rd on front straight and going to 5500 or so before breaking AFTER the flag station. Feels good going by that guy at 120 or so with full power in 4th. Big brakes into 1, leave it in 4th roll up to full power at apex and hard on it to entrance of 2. YA WHOOO! Same over on the back part all the way around now in 4th lift on middle turn of the three then full power up to last one. BIG brakes, leave it in 4th FULL power at apex YA WHOOOO! again.
God damn thing is WAY faster than I am!!! Don't get stupid! This could really hurt. Have fun! YA WHOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh,Oh, Whats that? DAMN out of gas! Switch tanks, oh ya, already did that this morning. OK one more lap and back to pits. Gonna really let her have her head down the front straight and up the back straight behind the pits this time. Hitting rev limmit in forth just past the flagman!! Full confedence in breaks now. Very happy with them everywhere. Good ballance thur the big LH out back. Thats the fastest I've been thur there, about 100 I think. Right at the sweet spot in 4th. Pulls hard out of that one. I am going much faster at the end of this section now and am breaking much sooner at the end. The straights are getting shorter now!!

Into pits, out of gas, day over. Did about 120 miles. Now the car is making a really weird noise when I try to start it to drive it onto the trailer. Won't turn motor. Shit! Push onto trailer, go home. Thanks again Bud. He hurt his hand pushing her onto trailer.

Did I mention he blew a tire on his pickup on the way to the track? Thanks again bud! I owe you a tire.

So what did i learn? Well I'm not Mario! The car is much faster that I am. I was out on the track with some very well prepaired cars. A couple of track only mustangs on race slicks and if I wanted to I could keep up with them and even real them in. The SP8000 Dunlops are pretty good tires. Plenty of grip after they get hot. The car came in with a little tuning. The seat isn't realy any good for this. Belts don't work very well because the seat isn't designed for them. Maybe put in a race seat for track days. Also I will need to get a second set of wheels at some point and put on some slicks I guess.

Overall I found out I am pretty slow as a driver compaired to the people who do this all the time. I can run down the street cars out on the track like 5.0 mustangs and such fairly easy. Nothing I wouldn't expect. Oh and 375Hp is plenty!

Need a new starter. The damn thing backed out the two mounting bolts and the ringgear ground off the nose of the housing. Safety wire everything from now on. everything else came thru fine.

I'll post some pictures when I can. Thanks again Bud!!!

Re: Betty\'s first real date.

WOW!! A great story! I could visualize everything. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers
Bill D

Hi Howard,
First I want to thank you for the invite to your place for the GT40 gathering a few weeks ago and of course the ride in your great car. I really appreciated all of the info I recieved on any future '40 purchase.
Too bad I missed you on saturday. I ran on sunday with the shelby but would have liked to have seen you run. Your description of your runs was great! With my knowlege of the track, I could visualise your every drama! The cyclone (turn 5 at the top of the hill) is quite a leap of faith isn't it?
Anyway, glad to hear that you had such a great time. I look forward to seeing you out at future events. Perhaps I can give you a ride in the Shelby or the Lotus some time. Have fun!

Hi Don,

I'm in Sac too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Missed the party, perhaps next time.

(Yes brother F, I will bring Guinness in penance !!)

What kind of Lotus? Shelby?

Ian

Howard Jones

Supporter

Don I would love to have you show me around that place. It is a pretty hard track to learn. Three blind turns and a couple of long double apex corners. I really was loseing a lot of time thru three. I never did figure it out. I ended up just holding the bottomline all the way around so if I lost it I would stay on the track.

And the damn Cyclone thing. Jeeze! If I wanted to design a difficult turn I would do THAT. I finally gave up trying to go quickly there. Then theirs that thing in the back, must be 10 or 11, that is so blind that if you go down the inside to where you would think the apex should be you end up in the dirt at about 80mph or so.

I do have a lot to learn. Looking forward to the next time. I don't want anyone to think I could keep up with the fast guys. I ran in the yellow group, slowest, and it took all day before I was going quickly enought not to be in everyones way. Thats another thing. GT40s are very hard to wave anyone by in. I can't get my hand out of the side window like everyone else and they are looking for you to do that. Next time I'm taking off the drivers side window just for that reason.

Anyway had fun met more cool people.

Hi Ian,
It is a 66 GT350 B/Production racecar and the Lotus is Dan Gurney's Pacesetter Lotus 19B. I crewchief and sometimes drive for a vintage race team. I have wanted to contact you as well. I am the Sacramento Shelby Club president and would love for you to bring out your GT40 to a club meeting or open track. If there is any interest let me know and I can give you the details or you can go to rivercity-saac.com.

Don

Hi Don,

Unfortunately, I'm still not an owner - but I am working
on rectifying that situation. Have a few Cobra fan friends
in the neighborhood as well, looking to build soon too.

might have to check out the next get together/cruise you all
have.

Ian

[ QUOTE ]
I really was loseing a lot of time thru three

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that that awful off-camber right-hander? Try entering in the middle of the road - the farther left you go, the weirder it gets. Of course, it's been 10 years so things might have changed, but that's what worked for me (in an AWD Eagle Talon...)

Ian,
You are welcome regardless of whether you own a car or not. We are an enthusiasts group and there is a wealth of knowlege when you do plan on building. Also the superformance rep from Reno is a member and we will have a look at the new GT as soon as he gets it. Hope to see you soon.

Howard,
I would be happy to show you what I know of the track sometime. Some would accuse me of knowing it about as well as I know nuclear physics but I will try! Just a few points though. Don't bother trying to be fast in 3 until you are very comfortable. It is off camber and will throw you. You will really have to take a line there depending on your particular setup. As for the cyclone.... take a late apex entry and I like to leave it in 3rd typically. It makes throttle modulation at the bottom off camber portion a bit easier and less likely to bite you if you dip into the throttle too hard. 9 is easy. Late apex in and as you crest the hill look for the silver water tower on the distant hill. If you aim right for it your line will be right on the apex at the bottom of the hill as the track kicks in towards you. Hope this helps the next time you go out. If you want some good seat time there without the worry of hurting your '40 I am always willing to share my spec miata. It is a great way to hone your skills and learn to utilize your momentum.

Howard, the only thing missing is the video. Great play by play! It will be while for me but its coming, Thanks for the post, Kevin

Thanks for the great report!

I could sure use a lot more of this sort of thing ... keeps me going on my very slow build.

Ian Clark

Supporter

Howard,

Loved your story! yes the cars are better than most of us. That's a day you'll remember forever:)

Cheers

I haven't seen anyone smile so much in a long time!! I think Denis is hooked. Don't worry about the tire - you didn't put the nail in the road - stuff happens! I had a great time watching for a change. I elected not to take my car as I have a two day event coming up at Willow Springs in a couple of weeks and didn't want to chance breaking something. Now all we have to do is get Faile off of his traveling butt and get to the track and get started. I see the makings of a small team coming on.

Bud, I've been trying to get Faili to a track for at least 15 YEARS - - I've offered him rides in everything from formula V's, to spec racers to 250 ulimited go-karts - - He always finds some excuse!!! (Farhad - - are you listening??).

I sure hope you succeed as he's really green to the road course racing (it's difficult getting a dyed in the wool drag racer to change).

If you get him there - I'll pit crew for him the whole weekend - - -
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

cheers

Howard Jones

Supporter

Pics

Attachments

• 67092-AllAlone.jpg
    67092-AllAlone.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 312
Back