BF Goodrich tyres

Dwight

RCR GT 40 Gulf Livery 347 Eight Stack injection
Randy my tires were new.

Andy don't worry the T/A will sell.

BF Goodrich tyres are now available again in 15" diameter in the UK.
We have the full range for GT40s and Cobras available.
A more economical road car alternative to the Avon CR6ZZ

Thanks

AndyView attachment 102882

While I have the Avons on my Ford GT40 MKII, I have the T/As on another car and have always liked them a great deal. Sometimes I have wanted to experiment with the T/As on the GT40, simply to see that if, on the street and driving at real world speeds, they reduce some of the twitchiness/nervousness in the front end.

/s/ Chris Kennedy

Dave Hood

Lifetime Supporter
When I purchased my car it had T/A Radials installed. After a few months I switched to AVON and have been very happy with those. I know here in the U.S. many Cobra owners are also using Cooper Tires. I don't know how they compare to B.F. Goodrich.

When I purchased my car it had T/A Radials installed. After a few months I switched to AVON and have been very happy with those. I know here in the U.S. many Cobra owners are also using Cooper Tires. I don't know how they compare to B.F. Goodrich.

The Cooper tires were the standard tire for the car when I ordered it from Superformance/Hillbank. I remember mentioning the T/As and being told that the Coopers seemed to work better on the car.

/s/ Chris Kennedy

If you really follow the speed limit signs - especially those suggested for curves get the T/A's. If you enjoy spirited drives get the Avons or Yokohamas or Hankooks or etc. I started with T/A's and found myself tip toeing around the track until I switched to Hoosiers (not a street tire ).

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
I used to operate with tyres that had a speed rating of 205mph - A Boeing 747.400. It was very rare but the max rating could become a speed limiting factor on take off - sometimes on a hot and windless day in Bogota.
I've heard that the tyres being discussed here on the forum have a speed rating well below the speed that these cars can achieve. No arguments. No further discussion. They are unfit for these cars. END OF STORY. Because of this forum, the B.F.Goodrich tyres on my car are now being removed. David Morton

Dwight

found this on a google search.

How are Speed Ratings Determined?

Tire manufacturers determine a tire’s capacity for heat and speed using a testing machine. Usually testing is done to meet ECE (Economic Commission for Europe) standards, so the scale is based on kilometers per hour (km/h). A more rigorous test is sometimes done to meet SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) standards.

1. For the ECE test, the tire is properly inflated and mounted on a wheel attached to a testing machine in a room that’s heated to 77 degrees F.
  2. The tire is pressed against a metal drum with enough pressure to simulate a realistic load.
  3. Starting at a speed 40 km/h lower than the proposed rating level, the tire is spun for 10-minute increments at higher and higher speeds, until it reaches the target speed.
  4. The tire spins for 10 minutes at the target speed.
  5. It’s then removed from the machine and inspected for any failures, like separation of tread components. If it’s intact, it passes the speed rating.
  6. Sometimes an SUS (step-up speed) test will be added after the tire performs at the target speed rating. Speed is increased until the tire fails.
  7. If the tire is being tested at the SAE standard, it’s required to run for an hour at target speed in a room heated to 100 degrees.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
So - what speeds does the various manufacturers claim their tyres can achieve?
The post above is obviously very informative but I don't really know any more than I previously knew !

Dwight

David you have to look at the tire you want and see what its speed rating is. Each company rates each tire different

Dwight

T/A Radial are the best looking tires and the worse performing tire I have ever owned. Especially in the rain.

Vitour Tires
" data-hasqtip="0" aria-describedby="qtip-0" style="box-sizing: inherit; display: flex; flex-flow: column; flex: 0 0 auto; border: 1px solid transparent; border-top-left-radius: 5px; border-top-right-radius: 5px; border-bottom-right-radius: 5px; border-bottom-left-radius: 5px; align-items: center;">Vitour Tires Galaxy R1 Passenger All Season Tire
" data-hasqtip="1" style="box-sizing: inherit; display: flex; flex-flow: column; flex: 0 0 auto; border: 1px solid transparent; border-top-left-radius: 5px; border-top-right-radius: 5px; border-bottom-right-radius: 5px; border-bottom-left-radius: 5px; align-items: center;">Vitour Tires Galaxy R1 Passenger All Season Tire
" data-hasqtip="2" style="box-sizing: inherit; display: flex; flex-flow: column; flex: 0 0 auto; border: 1px solid transparent; border-top-left-radius: 5px; border-top-right-radius: 5px; border-bottom-right-radius: 5px; border-bottom-left-radius: 5px; align-items: center;">Vitour Tires Galaxy R1 Passenger All Season Tire
Galaxy R1 Passenger All Season Tire
Product Reviews

5/5 - 3 Reviews
Add Review
Galaxy R1 Passenger All Season Tire
  • Overview & Specs
  • About Manufacturer
  • Read Reviews(3)
  • Large Images (3)
Vitour Tires feature sophisticated tread design and modern appearance for high performance cars. Precise handing and stability at high speed. Special silica compound for excellent wet performance. Low noise under various speed conditions.
Tire Size
295/50R15 105H
Manufacturer Part Number: 7071321
See Other Fitments
Tire Specifications
Speed Rating [?]:H
Sidewall Style [?]:Raised White Letters
Load Index:105
Section Width:295
Diameter:15
Tire Construction:Radial
Speed Rating:130 mph
Price
Our Price:
$127.00
Qty.

Estimated Availability:
Available
Starting at $12/mo with Affirm. Learn more
See all Galaxy R1 Passenger All Season Tire sizes
Related Searches

Mazzini Tires
" data-hasqtip="0" style="box-sizing: inherit; display: flex; flex-flow: column; flex: 0 0 auto; border: 1px solid transparent; border-top-left-radius: 5px; border-top-right-radius: 5px; border-bottom-right-radius: 5px; border-bottom-left-radius: 5px; align-items: center;">Mazzini Tires Shark-Z02 Passenger All Season Tire
" data-hasqtip="1" style="box-sizing: inherit; display: flex; flex-flow: column; flex: 0 0 auto; border: 1px solid transparent; border-top-left-radius: 5px; border-top-right-radius: 5px; border-bottom-right-radius: 5px; border-bottom-left-radius: 5px; align-items: center;">Mazzini Tires Shark-Z02 Passenger All Season Tire
Shark-Z02 Passenger All Season Tire
Product Reviews

No Reviews - Be The First
Add Review
Shark-Z02 Passenger All Season Tire
  • Overview & Specs
  • About Manufacturer
  • Read Reviews
  • Large Images (2)
Mazzini Shark-Z02 is a performance, summer tire manufactured for passenger vehicles and SUVs.
The asymmetric directional pattern works together with the summer compound to boost the dry and wet weather grip the tire has on the road surface.
The asymmetric tread design features a continuous rib that closely follows the road surface at all times which increases the steering responsiveness and the driving stability.
The directional pattern and the durable compound manage to prevent heat build-up, increasing the high speed performance and durability.
The angled groove pattern helps improve the braking capability that creates friction between the tire and the road surface to increase the braking power.
Tire Size
295/50R15XL 108H
Manufacturer Part Number: 6924590213968
See Other Fitments
Tire Specifications
Speed Rating [?]:H
Sidewall Style [?]:Black Side Wall
Load Index:108
Section Width:295
Diameter:15
UTQG [?]:420-A-A
Tire Construction:Radial
Speed Rating:130 mph
Price
Our Price:
$122.35
Qty.

Estimated Availability:
Call for Availability
Starting at $12/mo with Affirm. Learn more
Related Searches

Dan Kasten

Supporter
I have no issue with BFG tires, they are on many of the cars in my family. Dad has at least 6 of his cars and me and my brother each have a set on our cars. When it came to the GTD and my brothers Pantera we both bought the Mickey Thompson sportsman s/r a really nice tire with an amazing tread pattern.

Mickey Thompson tires.jpg

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Walt,
Those are only H rated, in the UK that would invalidate insurance. The tyres have to have a speed rating that matches the capability of the vehicl. I am thus required to have V or higher rated tyres on the car!
ian

Dave Hood

Lifetime Supporter
Walt, that's the ultimate question. As far as I know, in the sizes we need, it's only AVON if you want that speed rating.

Walt,
Those are only H rated, in the UK that would invalidate insurance. The tyres have to have a speed rating that matches the capability of the vehicl. I am thus required to have V or higher rated tyres on the car!
ian
And where in the U.K. can you drive 149+ mph legally? Apparently it's your law (or insurance rule) but what's the logic?

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
And where in the U.K. can you drive 149+ mph legally? Apparently it's your law (or insurance rule) but what's the logic?
It’s daft, I know, and then you need to be able to do it for at least an hour constantly! So no way is that possible but they make the rules and we have to live with them.
An S rated tyre is something like 112 mph, that is enough to loose your licence on any UK road, 30mph over the posted limit is no licence! Even motorway here is 70mph.

rules are here!

Section 46, Note 4 requirement 7.

From memory, the max speed was determined by max revs, times the gear ratio in top, What car would ever actually get there?

Back