Block ID help

Dwight

RCR GT 40 Gulf Livery 347 Eight Stack injection
according to "High Performance Ford" book a C5AE-E block is a 427 but I'm not sure about the 6105. In the book it's not listed as a side oiler.
IMG_8110.JPG
IMG_8111.JPG
IMG_8112.JPG
IMG_8113.JPG
IMG_8114.JPG
IMG_8115.JPG
IMG_8116.JPG
IMG_8117.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_8118.JPG
    IMG_8118.JPG
    694.2 KB · Views: 303

Dwight

I read where you can only bore a 427 to 30 over. My buddy has a 65 side oiler bored to 42 thousand over with no over heating problem. The block does have a couple of sleeves.
let's try that last picture again
IMG_8118.JPG

I would suggest there is a world of difference between what you could bore a block to in 1965 and what you could bore it to after 50 years service in 2019, get it sonic and pressure tested and base your decision on that and how much you intend to abuse it.

Peter Barnes

Supporter
Hi Eric, My 289 (1967) Block has the same number as yours. The 289hp also uses that number but sadly mine is not the hp. there is info on the net. Peter

Dwight

IMG_8119.JPG
I'm sorry. Some how I thought it was a FE.
Let's try again

289 65-67 six bolt block

Mike Pass

Supporter
Engine block codes
The Ford casting number always starts with the 'Decade' character. Ford started using this structure in the late 50's with the first letter being 'B' . In the 60's the letter changed to 'C' and 'D' for the 70's and so on. The Decade digit is always followed by the 'Year' number. The combination of Decade and Year indicate the actual model year the part was originally designed for.

First character (a letter)
B = 50's C = 60's D = 70's E = 80's

Second character (a number)
Year of decade
e.g. C9 is 1969

Third character
Car model
E,g.
A – full size Ford
D – Falcon, Maverick
E – Truck
L – Lincoln
M – Mercury
O – Fairlane, Torino
S – Thunderbird
Z – Mustang
W - Cougar

Fourth character
Engineered component
E = engine

The second group of characters refers to the part of the car. In this case the engine.

Cheers
Mike

Engine block codes
The Ford casting number always starts with the 'Decade' character. Ford started using this structure in the late 50's with the first letter being 'B' . In the 60's the letter changed to 'C' and 'D' for the 70's and so on. The Decade digit is always followed by the 'Year' number. The combination of Decade and Year indicate the actual model year the part was originally designed for.

First character (a letter)
B = 50's C = 60's D = 70's E = 80's

Second character (a number)
Year of decade
e.g. C9 is 1969

Third character
Car model
E,g.
A – full size Ford
D – Falcon, Maverick
E – Truck
L – Lincoln
M – Mercury
O – Fairlane, Torino
S – Thunderbird
Z – Mustang
W - Cougar

Fourth character
Engineered component
E = engine

The second group of characters refers to the part of the car. In this case the engine.

Cheers
Mike
So mine would be a full size Ford from 1965 Thanks Mike

Back