Build time estimates

Trying to budget my cash and time for my SL-C build. I'm up to 40K in cash but won't pull the trigger until I have 65K stashed for a proper build with room to expand. Now about time.... anyone care to give a ball park time in hours from delivery to first drive? Sad to say, but I was close to pulling the trigger on a GTM until my research revealed what a pile of crap they are until a magician can turn them in to what they were meant to be. Don't get me wrong, a properly finished GTM looks and performs well, but lives in the shadow of an SL-C. Here is a quote from a GTM pro builder
Hey Art Girl. The Gen II is no faster than the Gen I. IMHO, the doors are a mess, fitment is embarrasingly bad, hood fitment is still a mess, and the hood vents are a real pain because you have to cut out the openings! The passenger body side is still bad, the rear hatch area still needs modification. In short, FFR fixed nothing.

So, with that said, I am continuing my quest for an SL-C and gathering as much info as possible while I save my pennies.

Thanks, Jim

Last edited:
It's taken me about 2-3 weeks to build in my head. Does that count? Only kidding. Looking forward to the answers on this question as well.

So far, Allan seems to be the fastest builder. Under 250 hours for a very nice build, including paint and interior.

That's remarkably fast compared to some other slowpokes (raises hand), but seems eminently doable for a by-the-book build. I'm sure he could do a track version even faster, since the interior and paint could probably be done faster.

Deviate from the norm, and things take much longer. Ask me how I know. :)

Well I have built an SL-C yet. I will be in hot pursuit of putting mine together. Looks like to me we all have " our" idea how it should be finished. With that said how much you do/want/need is your idea. It takes as long as it takes for YOUR Sl-C. As for me I can't F----ing wait to start !

I think Cam took 11-12mths? Allen smoked by everybody, lol.

I'm at 2yrs ... of course there's 23mths of waiting for an engine in there :/

Howard Jones

Supporter
To be honest..... Without a very good idea what you intend to do to the car.....makes the question a very difficult one. I would think that had I just put mine together, then something on the order of a few hundred hours.

I would consider having Fran's guys put the doors on for you. If he can cut your build time down by several weeks then it would be worth the extra money. I have no idea if he does that or if so how much. Ask him. I say several weeks because I don't know the extent of your experiance. It's not really hard, skill-wise, but if you have never built a car before it (doors) can take you some time to just get the ball going. The doors are really the only part of the build that isn't obivious.

Having said the above....I have built a GT40 before the SLC I am building now and part of the fun IS IN THE BUILDING. I enjoy thinking about alternatives and personal touches. THAT takes time! But I sort of think that taking time is the reason for a hobbie.

So if you can work on the car 3-4 days out of the week with at least one weekend day then lets say 2-3 days @ 2 hours each and one weekend day @ 8 hours. That's about 14 hours a week. This sort of nets you about 4 or 5 months @ 200-250 hours. Double that if you have a wife and triple it if you have kids. (Or for that matter a real job)

How about you order the car with the doors hung. Leave the engine and gearbox for later and get to it. Both the engine and gearbox seam to be getting less expensive the last year or so. It might be a good idea to wait on them anyway. At least the GRBX options might be working in your favor anyway. Fran's GRBX offering is in the works and appears to be getting closer and LS series engines seen to get cheaper each day.

Spend next spring/summer building out the roller and then see where you are in the fall. Thats my best advice...........Just do it!

I see you are in California. I live in the SF Bay Area. If you just want to talk or drop by then drop me a email and I'll send you back a phone number/address.

Howard, the SL-C doors are not at all difficult. I'm sure Fran could option that install reasonably. With the GT40 doors being say, a 10 the SL-C doors would be a 4. Not difficult, and the alignment is easy. I do agree on your 14 hours/week schedule abated by wife and kids, etc. Sounds about right to me.
A straight build on the SL-C, including paint prep, figure 250-350 hours depending on skill levels.

Good thoughts Howard, et.al ... I'm about 8 to 10K shy for my order with shipping and goodies...... This will most likely be my approach. No sense having extra parts filling up spaces I need when I can only get so much done with limited time. Well, I have a wife and 2 kids, and I run my own business...... but have an alotted 10 hours a week for my build +/- here and there. I agree, the build is the joy, so I am planning a solid year. This should put me behind the wheel spring of 2012.
Side note: I have an SB100 on my Factory Five Cobra.... any trouble with obtaining an SB100 on the SL-C?
Thanks all, Jim

I did have Fran do that for me. As well fitting the rest of car. I Understand that some of you may think I have skipped some of the fun in building the car. I think everybody needs to know his/her limitations. I do know mine :) more an engine guy that a body man.

I did have Fran do that for me. As well fitting the rest of car. I Understand that some of you may think I have skipped some of the fun in building the car. I think everybody needs to know his/her limitations. I do know mine :) more an engine guy that a body man.

+1, I'm with you....hence the need for 8 to 10K before I order. :thumbsup:

You dont really need to be much of a body man with the SLC. The only component that comes anywhere near difficult is the doors. And even then it's pretty easy. The stock finish is really good, the prep time for paint minimal. The front and rear clam are 'easy piezy' as Howard would say. I would say the hardest part of the body is figuring out how to 100% seal the passenger compartment from the engine compartment.

Rob, I believe Fran has a fiberglass part to take care of that now. May be an optional small part. Didn't you make one yourself too?

The REAL difficulty with build time is leaving things alone and simply putting it together. I do realize that is difficult for some of us to do (Rob). Guilty here as well!

I did a straight forward LS 376 crate / ricardo build. I was 9 months to driving illegally. it took me 14 months to actualy get on the streets. One delay, ther is only 1 day a month to have a kit car registered in the DFW area.

Back