Building hours ?

OK a number hum...............I built my GTD over 8 year period. The car was running on the road after 5, then I took a couple of years of track time (call it 12-14 days) to get it setup the way I like it.

It that context, The build portion went something like this: about 2-3 hours a day 3-4 weekday evenings and about a total of 10-15 weekend hours, with a few very long days now and then stretching to 12-14 hours. This went on about 48 weeks a year give or take for 5 years. Call that something like 3500 hours.

Then the development pace was much slower. This came down to a lot of thinking and reading about a issue and then a couple of weekends to make/buy and install the fix, take it out and try it and then figure out what else I wanted to do next. All in the total amount of took time wasn't much more than a couple of hundred hours over the next two years or so to finish the setup.

All in lets say 3700. By the way my SLC is going much faster even with all the changes I made. It's going to be half that maybe even a lot less than half.

I would set a pace somewhat like mine. Most weekday eves for a hour or two and then most weekends until you are done.

Thanks a lot, that gives me a realistic picture. And yes..im still going to build one.

How long you ask? Long enough that it drove me to drinking, a lot. Oh wait.....it was road going when I bought it ten years ago, then I stripped it down to the frame......then I started drinking, a lot. So after I thought I was done, it turns out I wasn't......ten years and counting my GT40 is in a perpetual build stage, sometimes complete, sometimes not.......and I continue to drink….

Not long ago, while drinking, I came up with an alternative plan that I thought would end having my GT40 in various stages of completion....I bought a factory built, SPF road going GT40. Didn’t seem to solve a thing……I now work on two GT40s and yes I’m still drinking…a lot.

Some would say if working on the build is an endless endeavor don’t even start but I come at it from another direction. Start the build and never look back, it’s an evolving project which becomes a part of you just like raising a puppy…..you’ll want to kick it’s butt every once in awhile but boy what a smile it’ll put on your face 97% of the time.

Patrick, this may not answer your question but probably close to the truth for many on this forum. :chug:

So it helps if I'm drinking while building then ? ;)

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
So it helps if I'm drinking while building then ? ;)

Leave it to a Swede to ask a rhetorical question! :thumbsup: :laugh: :thumbsup:

If nothing else it takes some of the sting out of the cost of parts and tools.. :shocked:

Back