Buying options

I am looking at buying a gt40 for a killer track car and occasional road use.
I have been offered a CAV with a 302 motor and an audi diesel 6 speed trans.The mileage is low 3k.My concern is that they are out of business. The car looks great.So what is a fair market price for a car like this ? And should I even consider the car.Are values for CAV'S tanking?
Thank you in advance!
Ron

As stated CAV is still in business and builds a great car, but you may want to also check out RCR. They will build you a car that fit your needs.

A 302 with an audi 6 speed is probably not what you want for a primarily track-use car.... You probably want a 351 based stroker engine, and a ZF transaxle. Just sayin'

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Hey there Rocket Ron... please do us a big favor and adjust your user name in accordance to rule #2 here:

GT40s.com - FAQ

Thanks Ron!

Cliff's right....a track car with the 01E will work....for a while...but the ZF trans is probably a better fit. Fair market price is all over the map depending on mileage, overall condition, upkeep and engine and trans installed. No doubt though there are some very good deals to be had right now. But as stated CAV is still in business and producing great cars to this day.

A 302 will be down in power for a track car. Brakes will also be an issue. You will be lapped all the time against modern sports cars in the track with better brakes and better engine.

ZF is a very strong gearbox and can take bigger displacement engines. My first GT was a 330ci with 15" wheels with the biggest brake you could fit in 15" but they were not power assisted. You are used to the brakes of a modern Ford GT and the power of 550HP. You will be waving by M3, M5, Corvettes, Camaros and Mustang passing you very easy.

Back