Canadian kit car laws

With that Marco case, what happened to the cars?

My understanding is TC seized the shipment, they fought it in court and won, got the crates back and they were empty? Were the cars ever found? Did TC say 'neiner neiner we have them' or were they just....gone?

Mark Charlton

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Do these canadian rules also appy to continuation models

By definition. A replica is a replica, regardless of what it is continuing. If one was to take view the new Superformance cars are "not kit cars", then they would be subject to the same crash, emission and safety equipment standards that other new cars are and it wouldn't be a good outcome.

On the bright side, in another 14 or so years, you'll be able to bring one to Canada.

Mark

With that Marco case, what happened to the cars?

My understanding is TC seized the shipment, they fought it in court and won, got the crates back and they were empty? Were the cars ever found? Did TC say 'neiner neiner we have them' or were they just....gone?

bump.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter

Gone but not forgotten. At least one of the cars has been located but the legalities are "murky" at best. As they were missing many pieces for completion it was not too hard to figure out when dealers were asked for price and availability of the required parts.

Oh, and TC's reply? Oh, well, it must suck to be you! As I know the person that took it in the shorts on this deal (NOT Macro) I have heard the true story.

Nevada Classics

Lifetime Supporter
In Canada, it is illegal to import a "kit car", however, you can import a "car kit" . . . seriously. We do it regularly, and can register a GT40 in Ontario as a "home built". You have to pay the harmonized 13% GST/PST at the border (5% if you live in Alberta). Transport Canada assigns a 17 digit VIN to it, and you can legally register it for the road. Once registered in ON, BC or where ever, you can easily move it to another province. To be legal, you have to supply components from at least two manufacturers. A body kit from one source, a chassis from another, Windsor block and ZF (RBT), Quaife, or Mindeola transaxle from another. Do it by the book, pay all the taxes, and you'll be OK. If you want to speak with us, feel free to call with questions.

Lurking around and decided to sign up. Very interested in one of these vehicles, but can't figure out how to get one into Ontario :p

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Lurking around and decided to sign up. Very interested in one of these vehicles, but can't figure out how to get one into Ontario :p

Contact me and I will put you in touch with people who can honestly answer your questions, you will then be able to make an informed decision.

Last edited:
Hi Gents,

With all the questions and issues regarding the registration and importation into Canada has anyone started to lobby for this or at least written their MP or the Minister of Trnsportation. Might be the only way to get the ball rolling and get a change in the regualtions

Markus

Hi All....
Just joined the site and saw this thread and thought I would lend my experiences in importing kit cars. I imported more than a few cars into Canada legally using a very very simple method which I will explain. The first time I brought a kit car into Canada I read every little bit of information regarding the importation of kit cars and vehicles. So I was very well versed in what was and wasn't allowed. When I pulled up to the border the first thing I heard from the CBSA agent was "You can't import kit cars" ... and I chuckled out loud. The agent remarked that it wasn't coming into the country and me being a smart ass said "bet ya 50.00 bucks it will". The agent laughed and said your on... true story no BS. So I brought my paperwork into the CBSA office at the Windsor crossing and presented it to the agent for declaration. The agent looked over the paper work and said they would have to consult their supervisor on it. The kit car in question was a D&R Diablo Roadster on a custom tube rolling chassis sans interior and drive train. The supervisor came over and asked me to go outside with him to look at the car and point out a few things. I obliged and showed him the car and details he was asking about. He looked at me and said.. "seems like you did your homework", looked at the original intake agent and said "write it up and let it pass". I then looked over at the agent who I made the bet with and said " You got that fifty bucks" ... he smiled and said "Nice one" and went on his way. I was able to import the car under a very simple clause ... I had the bill of sale made out for a race car, not a kit car. There are no rules regarding the importation of race cars so to speak. By classifying the vehicle as a race car it changed the classification and thus the rules under which it could be imported. All it took was a couple of stickers that said "Race car body for track use only, can not be modified or made for street use" and the chassis had the same sticker only it said chassis instead of body. Once a vehicle is has legally entered the country you can register it any way you want to as long as it meets the TC rules for street use. Yes it may seem like a loop hole but it works simply because the agent must take at face value the description of the item. There is no way for them to prove it is not for racing and must accept the bill of sale stating that is what it is. By importing the cars this way it saved me so much time on the hassles that one gets at the border with kit cars and bodies. I hope this information helps some of the folks who are looking to get a kit into the country without all the hassles.

Cheers,
Chad.

I thought the import regulations for a competition vehicle to be imported had to have written proof of identity from the manufacturer/company stating that it was a competition vehicle not legal for road use. Transport Canada / Customs usually make a phone call or two to the party who built the car for verification but as you said, once in the country you can do whatever you want with it.

There are ways around the import laws - if you find one, keep it a secret until the dust has settled.

Chris, didn't you say in an earlier post that if you can in fact bring a car in under the "for track use only " rule you would still have a car that could not be registered for road use? If I have you confused with someone else who posted that...my apologies. If this statement is true then the "for track use only" doesn't really help us out. accept for the fact we will have our dreams come true up and down our driveway.

Ottawa, April 23, 2010 MEMORANDUM D19-12-1

Competition Vehicle: A vehicle designed for use exclusively in closed course competition.

Note: A souped-up Porsche is not a competition car and would be subject to the requirements outlined for a passenger car.

All Countries 15 years or older:
– No requirements.

Less than 15 years old:
– must bear a label affixed by the manufacturer stating, in both official languages, that the vehicle is a competition vehicle and is for use exclusively in closed course competition, or
– is accompanied by a signed declaration
clearly indicating that the vehicle is a
competition vehicle and is for use
exclusively in closed-course competition.

Chris

You said it Chris... written proof... which means a bill of sale stating for track use only. Since kit car manufacturers almost never put anything on the bodies stating they made it then the burden of proof is on the CBSA agent to prove otherwise. So that nice bill of sale you got from whoever sold you the car is technically the manufacturer since no one can prove it was made elsewhere, and if he says it's a race car then it's a race car as far as the CBSA is concerned. Any kit manufacturers I have dealt with are always more than happy to put that statement on their bill of sale as well as it only serves as a sale for them in the long run and since the bodies as they generally sit are pretty much in a pre race construction state it's really not a lie. TC only comes into play when you register a vehicle and can only give advise to the CBSA. TC has NO authority when it comes to what can and can't cross the border, that is the sole discretion of the CBSA. The CBSA only consults with other agencies and bodies in Canada on various import definitions. But ultimately it is up to the CBSA to say what is and isn't allowed after reviewing the information. I have been in the import game for a long time and know what's what when it comes to getting stuff imported into Canada.

Cheers,
Chad.

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
So does this mean one can buy a Superformance GT40R which comes with said MSO certificate stating "not legal for road use", import it into Canada wherein there is no further restriction to registering for road use?

So does this mean one can buy a Superformance GT40R which comes with said MSO certificate stating "not legal for road use", import it into Canada wherein there is no further restriction to registering for road use?

Not quite. To register any vehicle (in Ontario anyway) you need to obtain a VIN number from the MTO but to get a VIN the vehicle needs to pass ALL requirements of safety inspection (i.e working lights, horn, sun visors, etc). That "Pass" is recorded and paperwork given to the owner to which is supplied to the MTO. Typically you need to provide a sworn affidavit of ownership and a detailed list of where you obtained the car or parts for it.

The only way around it is to find a wrecked sports car (Vette etc) and remove the VIN plate and install on the dash of the car. However you still need a sales receipt showing you purchased the VIN plate donor car, which is in fact is your GT or whatever. From there the car is registered as a 1988 Corvette, not a GT.

If you're OK with this arrangement your insurance company will only cover as a 1998 Vette value so if your GT is stolen or wrecked you'll only get fair value for the Vette.

By the way, there is no law against purchasing car parts.

Confused yet? ;)

Chris

Last edited:
Back