Car covers. Are they practical?

Hi all,
I have always liked car covers for my cars, and I think there is not a better and more exciting view of a covered car which you discover in someone else´s garage or barn, and the feeling of guessing what is underneath... Anyway...

But lately I am starting to wonder if I should keep covering my cars.
The fact is that you can only cover them just after a good cleaning, so every time you go out for a ride, your only option is cleaning the car before covering it or leave it in the garage uncovered. Otherwise you will damage the paint.

So lately, I have not been covering any of them, just keeping all my car covers stuck up in a pile in a corner at the garage.

What do you guys do out there? Any advise?

Attachments

• car covered.jpg
    car covered.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 469
  • 355 under cover.jpg
    355 under cover.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 477
Can't help with your question but, loving you collection:thumbsup:

Hi all,
I have always liked car covers for my cars, and I think there is not a better and more exciting view of a covered car which you discover in someone else´s garage or barn, and the feeling of guessing what is underneath... Anyway...

But lately I am starting to wonder if I should keep covering my cars.
The fact is that you can only cover them just after a good cleaning, so every time you go out for a ride, your only option is cleaning the car before covering it or leave it in the garage uncovered. Otherwise you will damage the paint.

So lately, I have not been covering any of them, just keeping all my car covers stuck up in a pile in a corner at the garage.

What do you guys do out there? Any advise?

if the car is ugly...cover it :D ;-)

can't help either, lovely collection indeed.
a cover can come in handy in some occasions I guess...longer storage and dusty circumstances?

but when you have a nice "show-room" like that were you walk in now and then, I would not cover my babies :)

in the early days I knew some people who bought a new car, and were so careful about their sweet and good looking interior (seats) that they covered those with some ugly seat covers (sheepskin etc) so that they keep clean and stay good in the years they drive that car...but then you can't enjoy those lovely looking seats your so careful about and every time you drive that car it has and you look at some ugly seat covers :D

ok thats another sort story, but you get my thinking.

I think it somewhat depends on the environment in which they sit. If the environment is a busy workshop with lots going on (drilling, cutting, sanding) or an old building without a finished surface to the ceiling then a cover makes sense....otherwise the car is getting covered with grit and dust and dirt. If the car is sitting in a show room type setting then it's probably just fine without a cover.

One thing I have noticed over the years....mice seem to prefer a car with a cover on it.....

Thanks for the compliments and comments, guys.
The garage is heated and clean so no need of covering the cars.
Just curious about what everybody else does.
And although I have a cover for each of the cars (I would not buy a cover these days anymore) I tend not to use them lately.
Even on the winter, they go out from time to time, so if you have to wash them every time you use them to get them covered, it really makes it complicated and time consuming.

Regarding the air-bubbles they are nice, but too expensive if you need to get one for each car and then, you need the space to use them... My garage now is packed up!

Like you already said, I cover the DBS when it is freshly cleaned/waxed. Once taken out, I leave it uncovered until the next outing and the time comes to clean it again. Then covered up again. A couple more runs this year while the weather is dry, then a full clean and polish and cover back on until spring.

When I am thinking about it, I am actually doing the same thing.
When the car is clean, I cover it. When the car is dirty, there is no need to prevent it from getting a bit more dusty.

Good to hear that. I guess we all are in the same "wavelength" then.

Sometimes without that feedback you tend to think you are a weird guy with peculiar ideas!

Thanks for the feedback, guys

Dave Hood

Lifetime Supporter
I find car covers to be very useful for most garage situations. Even a clean garage generates lots of dust, and if you only drive your car occasionally, a cover can help make a huge difference. Especially in garages where the concrete floor has not been sealed. A rough concrete floor promotes lots of dust particles. And if you've got windows in the garage the cover will keep sunlight off your car's surfaces as well.

Oh Dave, the pleasures of an unsealed concrete floor! My floor is a year and a half old now and I can't make up my mind what to do with it.

Being on the same wavelength and being a wierd guy with peculiar ideas are not mutually exclusive you know :laugh:. I cover mine when clean and leave the cover off when the car is dusty. I have a sealed floor but exposed walls and concrete roof so my garage does get dusty, but the worst is spider poo which sets on the paintwork, so I do tend to cover mine up usually. I have been known to polish the car on the way out and on the way back in sometimes - guess that puts me in the weird category too.

I've got that pile of covers. Black cars are covered after washing. Long term storage---wash and cover. Floors are Urethane coated. The doors are usually closed. I've noticed that if you get dust on a car, a cover can make micro scratches in the paint. I was looking at a 70' BOSS 302 last Friday and noticed the Maserati Ghibli Spider and Aston Martin DB4 parked on either side, had a very light weight 3M plastic film over their bodies. Not tight fitting, but very light (less than a mil) draped on the cars. I was told that product was the best $20 spent for the cars. Soft and should not scratch.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Spider poo? What does that look like??

I know, I know...

Spider poo?

How does it look? I might have it too and I am not aware of it :-(

On the off-chance that you two may be serious :squint::

It looks like small black, or sometimes off-white spots...usually not much bigger than the size of the tip on a ballpoint pen.

'Course, if your garages have spiders the size of cockroaches, well then...

Back