Car Purchase UK vs USA

Pat

Supporter
Like many, I'm researching the GT40 purchase options. Can any members shed light on the advantages/disadvantages of purchasing a car in the UK and importing to the USA versus holding out until the right car comes on the US market? The UK selection seems to be so much better but there are hassles involved with shipping, registration, etc. with importing one. I really don't have the resources to build a kit and my last import experience with bringing a tricked out Capri from Germany only to have a stripped out shell delivered at the dock was not a positive experience.

Thanks,

VEEK
Florida

If you are constrained to buying a road-ready car, then I think you'll find your lowest-cost option will be to buy a car in the UK and have it shipped here. Your selection will be pretty much limited to GTDs and Tornados, and your car will be RHD. However, the lowest cost alternative may be to bide your time and save your money so you can pounce on a partially or nearly completed kit here in the US. Given the large number of resources in this forum, many of whom are located in the UK, I think you can be reasonably certain you won't get ripped off.

Having just seen that Gordy's car is for sale again, you may want to look into having someone finish building it for you...quite likely that the total cost would be comparable to a road-ready GT40.

Pat

Supporter
Thanks so much for the insight. Gordy's car looks like a great deal but I think I'm looking for something a little farther along; at least a roller. I can install engine/trans but don't have the facility for any fabrication. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
I'm going to the UK on the 22nd of June for a week and I plan to look around a bit at a couple of the cars I've seen advertised.

Again thanks to all for the information. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Veek

veek
I don't know your budget, however, I know where you can get a CAV gt40 spaceframe already powered up with less than 1000 miles, If your interested ???

Pat

Supporter
Vic,

Sounds like it may be a solid opportunity. If you want to shoot me a message with your e-mail address/phone number I'll contact you.

Thanks,
Veek

Back