Caster Setting

I am just about to wheel aline i have the camber and toe settings from the manual but there is no mention of front caster set up? what should i set it to?

Assuming that caster is the angle of inclination of the king pin (right?), how would this be changed on the car? I took a look at my suspension and couldn't figure out how to change that angle. Am I missing an adjustment?

Julian, we all have our own ideas on suspension settings and what works for the driver depending on his use of the vehicle. A road only car will have different settings to a track car, and again whether that is a sprint/hillclimb or race use. The GTD in standard form, whilst reasonably good in road form, has some limitations for other uses, and we have to look at all of the settings, not just caster/camber/ackermann/steering angle etc in isolation. I would start off setting a GTD castor at 4.5 degrees ( front) for road use and extend that to 6.5 degrees for track work, and set the rears to 1.5 degrees, and then play with those settings to suit the driver. Even the size of wheels and type of tyres makes a significant difference, and as the standard GTD front suspension has limited travel for radical settings, special suspension arms are often made up. As far as Ackerman on a GTD is concerned, in standard form its ****, and we rework the set up to give parallel steering for track use. (parallel to 20degrees either side of centre)Hope this helps, Frank

Malcolm

Supporter
Julian, not knowing if you have changed your uprights or suspension arms at all as we haven't spoken for a while, if you still run the standard parts, I would recommend you run the standard set up to begin with. This will give you a bench mark from which to make any further changes. On the castor, my thoughts tend to be that is important to make the castor equal side to side as otherwise you will get a pull on the steering over increasing or decreasing the factory recommendation. I have often played with suspension settings but always tend to go back to factory settings for an all round set up. Never played with rear castor though as the rear wheels don't swivel. I am more worried over rear toe in as a concept.

Malcolm

Supporter
Pat, Castor is the shopping trolley wheel thing ie the angle between the two ball joints leaning forward or backwards. The king pin inclination angle is the angle between the same ball joints but leaning in to the car centre ie perpendicular to the castor angle. Hope this clarifies.

My question is more out of curiosity than need.
Wouldn't you be effectively adjusting the front castor on an RF if you were to adjust the top rose-joints to unequal lengths?

Robert Logan

Defunct Manufactuer - Old RF Company
Pat etc. ,

I have not replied to this thread for the reason that I am reluctant to pass such sensitive information. The suspension was designed with a ratio between the front and rear rose joints so that the upright can be moved out parrallel thus allowing seperate , independant adjustment. Of course they can be adjusted together but MORE importantly they can be adjusted seperately.

I am sorry that I have not explained this in a more detailed way but I must protect SOME of our intelectual property. I NEVER see any of our competitors (save Bob Putmam of ERA) ever even comment on their cars but they ALL watch this forum !!!!!

Best wishes,

Robert

I hardly think that settings for castor could classed as intellectual property!

A reality check is required when we have all blatently copied a piece of Ford's history. i.e a GT40.

Suddenly you have to ask the question? What intellectual property?

Auhh Come on JP! Robert has a little edge on the compitition and you get all sensitive about it. I don't see Ferrari sharing anything with their competitors. If you have something that you believe is giving you an advantage on the market then more power to you. This is the way of compitition in business and in racing so what's your point?
Robert has shared several of his ideas on this forum. For one he has helped several of the guys on this forum with cooling problems. I too have passed along his ideas on keeping a GT40 running cool.I have recieved countless e mails from CAV and ERA owners asking for advise on this and other problems they are having. RF's aren't perfect but they sure beat what ever is in second place.:D I can't imagine why you take offense to Robert wanting to maintain some of his intellectual properties. Yeah your right, I am Biased but have good reason to be. I own an RF and I know what he says is backed up in a well thought out replica. Here's one for you..How many other replicas out there offer ABS brakes and tracktion control as options? Yep, Robert does. It just goes to show how far the man will go to make a customer happy. The fact is Robert Logan busted his hump to come out with a product that he and many others can be proud of. As far as I can see he has built more GT40 replicas than any other manufacturer out there. That's gotta mean something. To me it means he's doing something right. Whatever it is I hope he keeps on doing it. You may not like the man but you gotta like what he has accomplished. To me it does nothing but benefit the GT40s and the replica world..
No hard feelings JP just a good ole fashion Debate.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
JP, if you ever get over to Australia you should make a point to visit Robert. You will be surprized at what you see and you will be treated like royalty. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hersh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

James, no need to get excited over whatever settings are used, its only secret up to the point we put it on a guage plate and see what is built in. If you want to worry about front suspension settings - worry about CAV

Trevor Booth

Lifetime Supporter
Supporter
IMHO, any manufacturer who does not supply all wheel alignment info to the purchasor would indicate to me that he has not done his homework. FWIW, If you dont think Ferrari supply the info, I will lend you my manual to read.

Hersh,

My point was made because here in the U.K we race our 40's on a regular basis. There is no so called secrecy amongst the guys from the club because it is a very friendly atmosphere.

The point about castor is no big deal, because as Frank states, it can easily be measured. But we share our information.

I've literally just returned from Goodwood this afternoon. All the guys are really flying round the track now. Paul, Dave, Ray, Roy and Jools put in a very good performance and love to talk about settings, tyre pressure etc.etc.

Please come to the U.K and see what happens at Goodwood!

I'm not slagging Robert off, I just think that its silly trying to protect something that the U.K boys have got well and truly sorted. People like Frank might actually be able to help Robert, and visa versa.

Kind Regards,

J.P

Back