Cav#131

Ok, sorry to all. I have found my old thread and will carry on posting in this one. If possible a moderator can delete the new thread.
Regards
Johan R

On my way to the annual George Motorshow. A nice 450 km (900km in total) drive via some stunning mountain passes. I promise to post some pictures!

OK, as promised. My son and I left Friday afternoon after I picked him up from school. A journey of aprox 450 km one way one some beautiful roads.

Attachments

• view1_edited-1.jpg
    view1_edited-1.jpg
    347.5 KB · Views: 528
  • view2.jpg
    view2.jpg
    263.6 KB · Views: 406
  • view3.jpg
    view3.jpg
    386.5 KB · Views: 378
  • view4.jpg
    view4.jpg
    347.6 KB · Views: 359
  • view5.jpg
    view5.jpg
    340.9 KB · Views: 348
Pitstop, refuel and our overnight stop.

Attachments

• view6.jpg
    view6.jpg
    670.8 KB · Views: 560
  • view7.jpg
    view7.jpg
    493.6 KB · Views: 526
  • view8.jpg
    view8.jpg
    234.6 KB · Views: 434
  • view9.jpg
    view9.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 480
On to the show. Up early morning to get a nice spot and to polish the car. Luckily my brother in law helped with polishing the petrol caps and all Chrome pieces.

Attachments

• view10.jpg
    view10.jpg
    523.4 KB · Views: 477
  • view11.jpg
    view11.jpg
    411.7 KB · Views: 459
  • view12.jpg
    view12.jpg
    454.1 KB · Views: 445
  • view13.jpg
    view13.jpg
    355.5 KB · Views: 510
  • view14.jpg
    view14.jpg
    419.2 KB · Views: 451
Then for a nice drive along the coast before refueling and heading back.

Attachments

• view15.jpg
    view15.jpg
    492.8 KB · Views: 323
  • view16.jpg
    view16.jpg
    370.2 KB · Views: 369
  • view17.jpg
    view17.jpg
    381.7 KB · Views: 292
  • view18.jpg
    view18.jpg
    534.7 KB · Views: 443
  • view19.jpg
    view19.jpg
    314.6 KB · Views: 358
Stopped at the famous "Ronnies Sex Shop" and like always the car attracted a lot of attention and comments.

Attachments

• view21.jpg
    view21.jpg
    385.8 KB · Views: 427
  • view22.jpg
    view22.jpg
    472.8 KB · Views: 583
  • view23.jpg
    view23.jpg
    410.1 KB · Views: 448
  • view24.jpg
    view24.jpg
    672.1 KB · Views: 468
  • view25.jpg
    view25.jpg
    464 KB · Views: 419
Some info on Ronnies Sex Shop:
Ronnie painted the name Ronnie's Shop on this cottage next to the R62, planning to open a farm stall to sell fresh produce and fruit. His friends played a prank on him by changing the name to Ronnie's Sex Shop. Initially angry about the involuntary name change, Ronnie left the name and continued fixing the dilapidated building. His friends would stop by for a chat, having a few beers and throwing a couple of chops on the fire. During one of these evenings, someone suggested: "Why don't you just open a pub?"

Ronnie's Sex Shop has had visitors from all over the world, judging by the graffiti, it has also become a regular pitstop for bikers, the local farmers and people travelling this road regularly.

Hay Johan

Saw your car at the Show, it looked fantastic. Well done on driving from CapeTown

If i'd know you were on here I could have tried to find you and say Hi. We drove down for the day on Saturday from PE so were only there for about 4 hours.

Cheers

Fred W B

Last edited:
Fantastic views, great looking car too. Thanks for posting some very envious photos of a beautiful driving road. Also, love the shoes in the doors. I'll show to my girlfriend so she knows how to pack!
Couple of questions though.

Any issues with the car at all?
Outside temp for most of the drive?
Did you have the AC running and how did the car perform with it running and did you deal with high inside cockpit temps?
Why is the volt meter showing in the red?

Just curious as a comparison to Florida weather and driving. Thanks I really enjoy seeing these cars in action.

Hi Jimmy, the car was stunning with no problems. I drove with the aircon on the whole way with temps max at about 95F. Still more than enough power even with aircon on. Cockpit temps were never that high. Volt meter is faulty and needs replacement. Jean at the factory has in stock so I will fit it when I get time. And yes, the shoes in the door, also packet stuff in between the nostrills. The car was very nice to drive but I was quite tired when I reached home.....but if my wife will let me, I will do it tomorrow again!

Thanks Johann that's good info. Jean and I have been in contact for a while over electric issues I'm having with #82 thus the reason for my questions. Basically the car runs superbly when none of the main electrical equipment is on (Lights or AC) but once that load is put on the car she stumbles badly. The volt meter drops off and the car just lacks getting a good spark by the sounds of things. All basic components have been checked. Alternator, battery, even fuel but no luck as yet. We'll track it down but right now the car is a day time only drive and only when its cool out. Really enjoy the photos and the video though.

Spectacular Johan.

I'll be in Cape Town in a week or so. Maybe I'll see you blasting around..:thumbsup:
All the best,

Martin

My son's dream came true when he drove the Gt40 to his matric farewell. He drove the last 500m to the venue. :drunk:

Attachments

• matriek gt40.jpg
    matriek gt40.jpg
    297.8 KB · Views: 509
Back