CAV GT40 half-shaft retainer

Ever have a half-shaft loosen or break? You "are" the first one to know. At high speed it can be very dangerous or deadly. Not to mention expensive as it tears the corner off the car. Check out these retainers mounted to the far rear up-rights on the CAV tub. Simple and effective. Forever Ford!

Attachments

• GT 40 axle retainers 005.jpg
    GT 40 axle retainers 005.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 305
  • GT 40 axle retainers 001.jpg
    GT 40 axle retainers 001.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 302
Last edited:
Hi Rich, did you actually have a CV axle come loose and bang around?

If yes, that must have been quite "exciting" as it was happening.

I've had my CV axles on and off quite a few times, and take some pretty conservative precautions - basically, I used 12.9 bolts that are drilled and wired along with Grade 8 lock washers and locktite blue. The locktite is really just redundant obviously given the bolts are wired, but it doesn't hurt.

That's a nice piece of work there. Hopefully my precautions above are sufficient . If not, what you've got there would certainly improve the situation if an axle came loose!

Cliff: It didn't occur on the CAV, but did on my wife's SPF Daytona Brock Coupe. At the event we had last August there were raffle tickets sold for rides in the Daytona and GT40 for the Head & Neck Cancer benefit. The Daytona went on quite a few accelerating rides with the Mrs "showing" off a bit. The next day she drove it to work and the drivers side got loose as the bolts had backed out. Only damage was the joint and a couple of biff marks on the frame. The Drivers seat cleaned up very well! The Coupe Connection in Port Angles sent me parts from one that got up-graded, so I got a pretty fresh one. They are both now secured with drilled & wired/loc-tited bolts. The brackets on the CAV were designed too small and l was cruising along around the back side of MT. Saint Helens and caught a pot hole on a tight switch back turn, resulting in the retainers chewing off the ends of both inner CV boots. The reworked brackets shown above in the photo, have an inch added to the opening now. With the suspension in full travel up or down there is still clearance now with the 3 inch inside diameter.

Last edited:
1/4 inch steel plate with the rings welded on. I gound down and finished the welds, then primed & painted them with Dupli-color automotive paint. I purched the rings ready made with the holes tapped and bolts supplied from a farm equiptment supplier where they are avalible from 1 inch to 3 inch diameters. The rings are for impliment drive shafts for various harvesting equiptment. I'll get more photos up when I return to base.

Back